Premed 101 Forums

Differences among IM residency programs

gerd

So I've finally decided on applying for an IM residency, but I'm a little bit confused in terms of how different the programs are across Canada.

I've talked to residents, and was told that some of programs like UofA and UofT are the top ones, whereas there are ones that are considered fairly weak, such as UofC. But how does one actually decide which one is good or bad, other than how well the residents match in their fellowships?

So I've finally decided on applying for an IM residency, but I'm a little bit confused in terms of how different the programs are across Canada.

I've talked to residents, and was told that some of programs like UofA and UofT are the top ones, whereas there are ones that are considered fairly weak, such as UofC. But how does one actually decide which one is good or bad, other than how well the residents match in their fellowships?

Hi there,

It's a good start to talk to residents and staff are often also a good source of information from their impressions of the various programs. (Beware as well though, as some staff may reveal some biases towards or against certain programs--in my experience, largely against.) The other items you might wish to factor into your decision are those which are important to you. For example, does the program have a strong research component (UofT certainly seems to as i was interviewed by their IM program and told that they were interested in me for my research potential within their program despite having all electives in Gen Surg and no IM electives.) Another big factor that influences many folks during CaRMS is the feel of the program. You can get a good idea of this by talking to residents within that particular program. They will often tell you how supportive the program and Program Director are and what sorts of initiatives are offered during the years of residency. Yet another factor is the exposure that you'll get to the different areas of fellowship within IM.

In short, there are quite a few things to consider; the above are just a few points.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'd also like to know which are the 'best programs' but I agree that it is very multifactorial. I'm currently doing the IM/subspecialty elective circuit as a student and I find that there is such a wide variation in opinion is is nearly impossible to get a real objective feel.

I think that teaching is an important part of an IM program, so I usually try and get a feel for this. If the program is set up so that formal teaching is incorporated and encouraged, that is a good sign. Some centres will say that teaching is a priority but then when you speak to the residents you realize that these sessions are often cancelled or rarely attended since there is such high service on the wards and there is just no time.

Does anyone know where we can find information (stats) regarding matching to IM fellowships?

Kirsteen, besides your research background, what do you think helped you snag a Toronto IM interview without having done an IM elective there, or anywhere for that matter. I've heard that you need to have done a GIM elective there to even be considered. But clearly this is not the case (there are others who have not and got in).

LFTs

Kirsteen, besides your research background, what do you think helped you snag a Toronto IM interview without having done an IM elective there, or anywhere for that matter. I've heard that you need to have done a GIM elective there to even be considered. But clearly this is not the case (there are others who have not and got in).

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure that my research productivity during and before medical school is the primary factor that snagged me an interview at UofT. What might also have helped was the fact that I was intent on continuing research during residency (no matter what the program) which was alluring to UofT. Additionally, I'd been pretty active in other areas during medical school, won a number of awards and managed to snag some strong reference letters. With respect to the latter, I did have one letter from a UofC Hematology preceptor with whom I'd worked a few weeks before the CaRMS deadline and a very good letter from a well-known and well-liked IM guy at UofT with whom I was going to do a PhD as an alternative to medical school. (The latter was mentioned during the interview as well.)

All that being said, I think it is important to gain some positive exposure in your target program. If I was aiming to match to a given program I'd try to spend a good chunk of time there in an elective and really work hard to shine. The two main factors that snagged me that interview were the fact that someone within their camp could vouch for me and I was going to be keen on doing more good research during residency (and beyond).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen/FFP,

Thanks for the responses. I agree that the most important thing to do is to talk to the residents, which is what I have been doing. The difficulty is that there are only so many electives you can do, so then your only way of getting a feeling for the program in which you haven't done an elective is to speak to the residents who are doing the interviewing/involved in the CARMS process at their school...who knows what kind of selection bias that is :P

Positive exposure, too, is key, I agree.

LFTs

Thanks for all the info everyone! That was really useful!

Like LFTs, I'm also on my electives right now, but I'm only doing 2 away electives, so I don't really have that much opportunity to talk to residents in programs that I'm considering, although I'll probably apply across the country anyways. I'm going to go so broke after this.

And from the sound of it, I guess I shouldn't put too much hope into UofT, thanks to my almost non-existent research background.:D

Archived