Premed 101 Forums

The Life of a Pediatric Resident?

RedPotato

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in going into pediatrics, and I want to know more about what the residency is like. How many hours does a pediatric resident work? On average, how often are they on-call? How does this compare to other specialties (i.e. do they find they have to work more/less than their peers in, say, internal med?) If you are a peds resident, do you find that you have time to do other things in life (e.g. spend time with your family/significant other)? Does the workload remain the same throughout the 4 years of residency?

Thank you for all your help!

RP

• 2 weeks later...
Tough residency - at UBC, half of your weekends are gone per month (you're on call Friday & Sunday OR Saturday) and you get stuck in the same hospital for 5 years..ouch...I believe call is otherwise 1 in 4 or 5.

How does the call compare to other specialties?

How does the call compare to other specialties?

Hi there,

One in 4 call is the maximum frequency that most province residency unions will allow. Specialties that often hold residents to that frequency of call (aside from Peds) tend to be: internal medicine, Obs/Gyn, and many of the surgical specialties. Some other residencies tend to have a less frequent call schedule, e.g., pathology, nuclear medicine, radiology, radiation oncology.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived