Premed 101 Forums

Research and grad degree in residency

While I hear that many programs require residents to do research, is this a requirement or only a recommendation in most cases? Do many programs "force" residents to do a grad degree alongside (e.g. a M.Sc.)? What if one already holds a MSc in a different area before starting med, will the person be exempted?

While I hear that many programs require residents to do research, is this a requirement or only a recommendation in most cases? Do many programs "force" residents to do a grad degree alongside (e.g. a M.Sc.)? What if one already holds a MSc in a different area before starting med, will the person be exempted?

atho I'm not a res, I have worked in a lab where residents were doing research (neuro). and let me tell you, the "research" most of them did is quite pityful, altho some were quite elaborate, most did nearly nothing. So dont worry about research its not as bad as it seems lol

Hi there,

Many residency programs now require residents to tackle at least one project during the course of the program, and to different degrees. For example, in Mac Radiology, we are required to complete one research project by fifth year and it must be presented at one of our resident research days, i.e., although it is presented, it is not necessarily published. I heard about similar requirements from other programs during this year's CaRMS tour.

As for forcing a resident to doing a graduate degree, well yes and no. Some schools have missions that include very strong research components. Certainly, UofT is one such school. There are a number of UofT residency programs which offer a dedicated research component, e.g., the Surgeon-Scientist or Radiologist-Scientist program. In the past few years apparently 50% of residents have entered the former (according to the Program Director) which means that they spend a minimum of one year in research activities which normally leads to either a MSc or PhD. Although this is currently only an option for these residents there is some talk about allocating some current CaRMS seats specifically for these programs, that is, taking some of the existing seats and requiring that students who match to them must complete that research component. That being said, there are some cases also where, if a student already holds a graduate degree in research but are still keen on one of these programs, they can still do the year of research without the requirement of working towards another degree.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I have 1 question related to that topic... If I were to take a year off residency to complete a master degree in my speciality would I still receive some form of salary during that period? If your program does not have a master program is it possible to organize for the master to be done in another institution?

Mel

I have 1 question related to that topic... If I were to take a year off residency to complete a master degree in my speciality would I still receive some form of salary during that period? If your program does not have a master program is it possible to organize for the master to be done in another institution?

Mel

Hi there,

The answer to that is yes and often yes. If you complete a degree during residency and the research time is recognized as being part of an accredited research program within your residency then you will be paid a resident's salary during your research year(s). (A pretty good deal given that many post-docs don't get paid $55K and up to complete their year of research.) In addition, you'll also still receive all the benefits that a resident receives, e.g., vacation entitlement, mat-/pat-ernity leave, etc.

Yes, some programs will allow you to complete a graduate degree within another institution if no other options are available. This is going to be very much dependent on your program, however.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived