Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine quota

Wow. I seems like such a big decision to make before you've even started your first class. I had thought that I wanted to go into Family Med, but when you've got to sign on the dotted line, it makes you think twice. Any word on how many contracts are signed?

Could it be an O-Week joke? The more I think about it, the weirder it seems...

I'm pretty sure it's a joke. There's no way a notification like this would go out during orientation week! Even if it weren't a joke, the notice would've gone out during the last application cycle and not after the class has already been filled. Otherwise, students who received acceptances at more than one school will be up in arms about why they weren't made aware of this program before they chose to come to UM.

It's such a joke!

I agree with everything you've said. It sounds totally weird to me.

However, I spoke with Christine at 260 Brodie and she assured me that it was not a joke and that any questions that I had could be answered at that meeting tomorrow night.

I would really like to know if it is a joke or not. I have another commitment tomorrow night, but would cancel it to attend this meeting if it were for real. Is there anyone out there that can confirm that this is just a prank on us gullible Med1s? I'll be pretty pissed if I cancel my plans to go to a fake meeting... Any Med2s out there that wanna fuss up?

yeah, I completely think it's fake as well. I remember reading something about money for years in return of service, but I think it was service in your speciality of choice and you get money for every year you commit, not a 5-year one time thingy. And during o-week does seem strange. I want to attend this meeting just for kicks because there doesn't seem anything better for me to do.

Yeah, the more I think about it (and I'm done thinking about it now, not like my previous post) its just a joke. I agree that an offer like this wouldn't occur during O-Week and I could never believe that the faculty would force anyone into a specific specialty. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole office was in on it, so I wouldn't bother calling them for information.

Moose: I'll be looking for your post tomorrow and whether it was just another ploy to get us out to the bar (not that thats a bad thing...)

Archived