Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Cut-off

Hello everyone,

I've seen/read several times that the MCAT cut-offs in previous years for Western for the verbal reasoning section has been 10.

My MCAT is 14/14/9, which would be a decent score save for the stupid VR :mad: So my question is: should I apply to Western for this coming year? Will I have any chance? My grades and ECs are good, but I'm not sure about the MCAT.

Thanks!

Holy ish, that's an awesome score. The cutoffs last year required a triple-double (10's in every section). The cutoff is much lower for those in southwestern ontario). This cycle's cutoffs will be posted early next year (after the OMSAS deadline, to capture as much $$$ as possible from applicants).

Your case is the extreme one that shows the weakness of their policy. (Even worse would be someone with a 45P or something). Go ahead and apply if you have the dough, but I doubt they will lower their cutoffs .

I would apply (and you will most likely get a pre-interview rejection since it's probably done automatically by a computer) BUT western's policy allows you to appeal decisions. I think your 14/14 would probably be good grounds to appeal a rejection.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you can appeal on the grounds of having a high total score, if you didn't meet the cut-offs for each individual subtest. Western is quite strict about GPA/MCAT requirements.

It would still be worth applying, since your score is excellent. Cut-offs have gone down from year to year in the past.

One can appeal an automatic rejection? I received a 40P and that P sure is frustrating.

Anyone have anecdotal evidence of an appeal working?

one can only appeal if there's signifiant new information that would help your application... although i don't know what would qualify (would retaking the MCAT and making the cutoffs say by january qualify?)

• 1 month later...

I don't know the policy, but I find it highly unlikely that you could appeal if you didn't make the category in one section of the MCAT.

Your score is excellent, but Western sets the criteria with the knowledge that there are probably applicants out there with an unbalanced MCAT score. Other schools set cut offs based on total score and probably feel that is best.

The reason Western puts an emphasis on VR is that there was a study on MCAT scores in each category and physician outcomes(whatever that means). Better outcomes were most correlated with the VR, the bio science and phys sci were lower and the writing sample had the lowest correlation with outcomes. Reference letters had virtually no impact on physician outcomes and that is why Western does not use them in selecting the class.

Clearly there are ton of flaws with this thinking, but Western uses it anyway.

Lucky for you there are many other med schools (including american ones) who don't place emphasis on one section or another but concentrate on the MCAT as a whole (or not at all in the case of Mac and Ottawa).

I don't know the policy, but I find it highly unlikely that you could appeal if you didn't make the category in one section of the MCAT.

Your score is excellent, but Western sets the criteria with the knowledge that there are probably applicants out there with an unbalanced MCAT score. Other schools set cut offs based on total score and probably feel that is best.

The reason Western puts an emphasis on VR is that there was a study on MCAT scores in each category and physician outcomes(whatever that means). Better outcomes were most correlated with the VR, the bio science and phys sci were lower and the writing sample had the lowest correlation with outcomes. Reference letters had virtually no impact on physician outcomes and that is why Western does not use them in selecting the class.

Clearly there are ton of flaws with this thinking, but Western uses it anyway.

Lucky for you there are many other med schools (including american ones) who don't place emphasis on one section or another but concentrate on the MCAT as a whole (or not at all in the case of Mac and Ottawa).

don't they put emphasis on VR and WS?

• 2 months later...
ive heard of someone w/ the uwo gold medal in grad school applying w/ 9's: she didnt have to appeal, but they bent their cut off rules...probably cause she got the medal at uwo.

I highly doubt they gave an interview to someone with MCAT scores below the cut-off. The current class of 2008 was had a VR cut-off of 9, I believe, so there would be students with 9's legitimately.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole grad school gold medal thing doesn't make sense...UWO uses one's undergrad marks to grant interviews. They don't look at grad school at all other than to confirm that you have completed your graduate degree should you have began one while applying.

I never noticed before, so I'm not sure if this was there before, or if this is newer, but it says on the 2008 mcat/gpa cutoffs:

We will be notifying current applicants about interviews in mid-February. If you have met these minimums but did not receive an invitation for interview, contact Schulich Medicine as soon as possible. Please include your OMSAS number in any correspondence (2008-8xxxxx).

Is that new?

I never noticed before, so I'm not sure if this was there before, or if this is newer, but it says on the 2008 mcat/gpa cutoffs:

We will be notifying current applicants about interviews in mid-February. If you have met these minimums but did not receive an invitation for interview, contact Schulich Medicine as soon as possible. Please include your OMSAS number in any correspondence (2008-8xxxxx).

Is that new?

Lol, i think some guy at UWO Med said that a few people called in, and then they were sent interviews after they called in. If that is the case, i just don't see why they have the "meeting the cutoffs does not guarantee an interview" clause

Is that new?

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that back when they were first posted.

I met the minimums last year and didn't get an invitation for interview, because they had made an error with the number of credits for one of my above 3.7 years, so I gave them a call and they sent me the invite a couple days later. Only bad part about it was that I didn't get a choice for my interview day/time since it was all booked except for one slot. I'm pretty much expecting the same thing this year, so hooray for no interview time options!

So who knows, maybe meeting the cutoffs doesn't guarantee an interview if western messes up in looking at your file and then you realize after the fact or something, hah.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived