Premed 101 Forums

Secondaries....

dr.arsh

Hi guys,

when applying to american schools (which i haven't done so yet), do ALL american schools send you secondary applications? like is it by default if you apply. what does verification mean? is it checking for gpa/ mcat cut offs? and if you make the cutoff, they send you the secondaries?

i read on one of the threads that if you get a secondary application form from wayne state, there's a 50% chance that you'll be getting an interview.

i hope you guys follow my question.

i feel terribly ignorant :(

Verification refers to your primary - AMCAS checks your transcripts against the grades you had input on the application. Once it verifies it, it forwards your entire primary application to the schools.

The schools then decide whether to send you a secondary - this is called "screening." Most schools don't screen. The few that do are generally state schools for out-of-state applicants - they are generally subjected to much higher standards than in-state applicants. For example, I've heard that U of North Carolina has a 3.6 BCPM/34 MCAT cut-off for OOS applicants, so if you are below that, you are screened out and do not receive a secondary.

thanks a lot! that really helps

is there a list of schools which do'nt screen?

as you can tell my gpa is not that hot...and i wrote the killer mcats on aug 20. but i have strong Ec's and LOR's and hopefully a well thought out essay.

but hey, it never hurts to try your luck

Are you thinking of applying now? If so, and you a) don't know your MCAT scores B) have a not so hot GPA and c) you're also not a US resident, then I *strongly* suggest you forget about it this cycle.

Give it a shot with the Canadian schools, and if it doesn't work out, get ready to try US for next cycle. The reason is because it's getting LATE, and if you haven't done anything in terms of getting your stuff in order, then it's WAY TOO LATE. Also, it's EXPENSIVE and incredibly TIME-CONSUMING and contrary to what everyone says, the US isn't like the Carribean - the competition can be just as if not more stiff than Canada (not to mention ridic. tuition fees). Anyways, that's just my advice from someone going through the process right now.

Are you thinking of applying now? If so, and you a) don't know your MCAT scores B) have a not so hot GPA and c) you're also not a US resident, then I *strongly* suggest you forget about it this cycle.

Give it a shot with the Canadian schools, and if it doesn't work out, get ready to try US for next cycle. The reason is because it's getting LATE, and if you haven't done anything in terms of getting your stuff in order, then it's WAY TOO LATE. Also, it's EXPENSIVE and incredibly TIME-CONSUMING and contrary to what everyone says, the US isn't like the Carribean - the competition can be just as if not more stiff than Canada (not to mention ridic. tuition fees). Anyways, that's just my advice from someone going through the process right now.

I agree with this completely.

I'll also add that you want to apply once, and get in. If you apply twice, it can just be much more of a hassle with having to say why you didn't get in the first time on secondaries/interviews, schools look at you differently, and then they expect much more.

So save yourself some trouble if you're just thinking about applying now and do your homework for next cycle. This will be better for you in the long run, and you'll surely be applying early, increasing your chances by a LOT.

I know it can hurt to hear "save your time and forget applying this cycyel," but don't take these comments as a put down or "discouragement" man. We're just thinking about whats best for you.

thanks a lot! that really helps

is there a list of schools which do'nt screen?

as you can tell my gpa is not that hot...and i wrote the killer mcats on aug 20. but i have strong Ec's and LOR's and hopefully a well thought out essay.

but hey, it never hurts to try your luck

Get your hands on a copy of the MSAR (medical school admission requirements). It's a book published by the AAMC (american assoc. of medical colleges) and contains all info you would need about schools in the US, including average GPA/MCAT, details about the program, screening, fees, deadlines, etc.

You can purchase it from the AAMC website, amazon, or try your university's academic advising/career centre since they usually carry a copy that you can use for free (probably wont be the latest edition).

yeah, this is what i di'nt want to hear: 'forget applying'

i was soo consumed with the nasty mcats, that i overlooked the whole early applying to american schools. i'll try my luck at a few (3-4) schools. i know ppl here apply to 30+ schools which is ridculous.

i also dont like the whole primary/secondary process. because i'll be blindly spending money. i wrote the deadly aug 20th mcat...so i gotta wait till sept 22ish for them to come out.

i really appreciate all the honest feedback. mcats+ summer school was not a good idea for me :(

There is nothing "Ridiculous" about applying to 30 schools. From MDapplicants.com:

This site indexes 6854 profiles, with an average overall GPA of 3.59 and an average MCAT score of 30.3. These applicants applied to an average of 15.6 schools, were invited to an average of 4.5 interviews, and received an average of 1.8 acceptances

As you can see, 8 schools yield 1 acceptance for a 3.6/30 applicant (which is the average US matriculant).

Archived