Premed 101 Forums

Help with Secondaries

Hey,

I would appreciate your suggestion on the Pritzker secondary question:

"Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice."

For this I thought I would use a skiing experience where I found myself on a challenging run (and had trouble getting down). I'm not sure if it is appropriate for this type of question though... Do you think I should stick with a med related experience, or at least an academic one?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

sprite

I would say choose smth that would provide the adcom with additional info on your persona. Your values...integrity as a person....or even a life experience that influenced who you are.

I personally chose my experience of immigrating to a new country ( ie canada) and I articulated the challenges associated with that and how i surpassed each barrier and what I learnt about myself in the process.

Hope that helps,

I would say choose smth that would provide the adcom with additional info on your persona. Your values...integrity as a person....or even a life experience that influenced who you are.

I personally chose my experience of immigrating to a new country ( ie canada) and I articulated the challenges associated with that and how i surpassed each barrier and what I learnt about myself in the process.

Hope that helps,

Ah, no way, this is what I'm writing about, too.:P

Hey,

I would appreciate your suggestion on the Pritzker secondary question:

"Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation that you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills that you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice."

For this I thought I would use a skiing experience where I found myself on a challenging run (and had trouble getting down). I'm not sure if it is appropriate for this type of question though... Do you think I should stick with a med related experience, or at least an academic one?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

sprite

hehehe - its funny because your example is so literal (a challenging run). i think its unique (as is the immigrating one). i'm sure they'll get a lot of essays about how ppl dealt with illness in the family etc.

but i agree- its a great opportunity to share your strength and resilience, while showing some humility and humanity. yes, we are all human, and we all face challenges, but its how we overcome them that should be stressed in the answer. i don't think you need to go on for very long about the challenge itself.

Archived