Premed 101 Forums

Will MCAT cutoffs at Western and Queens change?

Does anyone think that Western or Queen's mcat cutoffs will change, considering the introduction of the computerized MCAT and the greater opportunities to write it in one year?

They say it is based on the applicant pool, but could this new format of MCAT administration have improved the chances of people raising the bar?

I had to do the MCAT two times this yr b/c the first time, people kept talking during the test since the registration/check-in was in the same room as testing. To make it worse, there was like 20 ppl in the same room, and the computers faced all diff directions as did the ppl. Instead of ending up with a 10 on verbal, I ended up with a 9, 13 on PS, and 10 on BS.

B/c I wanted a chance at Western and Queens, I had to do it again a month later. This time the testing procedures were ok, and I got my 10 on verbal, but tragically dropped on PS from 13 to 10. So I had to keep this score.

I wrote a complaint to the MCAT program office about the first test, and they did nothing, except for apologize for the testing conditions, and say that I needed to complain at the actual test. But all the people at the test center just apologized too and said next time maybe it will be better!!

hahaha yeah, those complaints are similar to what I've heard from others: once you have registered, you can start, meaning that there will be people walking in and out of the room almost continuously, and then there will be a lack of synchrony with different people finishing at different times etc...

I know Queens in their recent accreditation process mentioned that they would like to increase the number of interviews offered if they are able to get more faculty volunteers.

Any thoughts on whether this will impact GPA and MCAT at Queens for the upcoming application cycle?

I know Queens in their recent accreditation process mentioned that they would like to increase the number of interviews offered if they are able to get more faculty volunteers.

Any thoughts on whether this will impact GPA and MCAT at Queens for the upcoming application cycle?

Since queens is a cutoff school, I think it would mean that the cutoffs would drop a little.

If it were any school, id say that the average mcat and gpa wouldn't change, all that would be different is that we'd hear less stories bout people with 3.9s and 3.8s getting rejected.

Since queens is a cutoff school, I think it would mean that the cutoffs would drop a little.

If it were any school, id say that the average mcat and gpa wouldn't change, all that would be different is that we'd hear less stories bout people with 3.9s and 3.8s getting rejected.

That would be nice (I'm right below the cutoffs... RIGHT below), but I'm worried that the double cohort influx will continue, and that the cutoffs won't move much.

How critical do you guys think the double cohort numbers will be this year?

I know that last year they definitely raised the number of applicants. Western, for example, had gotten 1700 or 1800 applicants the year before, and in 2006, this number was raised to around 2600. An increase of 800 or 900 applicants is huge considering the number of seats at the school.

From what I understand now, they already increased the number of interviews at Queen's, so it is unlikely that they will increase it any further.

Increase in interviews this past year may have been why we saw the drop from 32 to 30.

I don't know how many extra applicants we can expect to see this year.

From what I understand now, they already increased the number of interviews at Queen's, so it is unlikely that they will increase it any further.

Increase in interviews this past year may have been why we saw the drop from 32 to 30.

I don't know how many extra applicants we can expect to see this year.

but we got an increase in gpa to make up for that drop. Werent they increasing the number of seats for all medical schools but gradually over 4 years?

but we got an increase in gpa to make up for that drop. Werent they increasing the number of seats for all medical schools but gradually over 4 years?

Queen's GPA cutoff stayed the same between 2006 and 2007 at 3.68 (or 3.78 for two years).

Queen's accreditation report suggests that 100 students is likely going to be the size of their entering class for the next several years, though I do recall hearing that all classes were supposed to increase.

Certainly we have seen a significant increase in Western's class already.

Archived