Premed 101 Forums

Academic Reference Required?

Does Queen's require an academic reference? I have four references that I could use, including the Program Director from my undergraduate degree, who also taught me a couple of courses (very small program). However, I think my three other references would be more valuable, since if I get an interview, my GPA will already be above the minimum cut-off.

While I'm confident that my Program Director will say that I am a strong student and have the ability to learn, won't my GPA and MCAT already show that? Therefore, would I be better to use my three other references? They include my manager at Toronto EMS, the Vice President of a national organization I've volunteered with for the last 13 years and a physician from Sunnybrook who I help coordinate disaster exercises with, which are attended by people from all over Ontario.

As far as I can tell, the OMSAS instruction manual and Queen's website are silent on the matter of whether we need to include an academic reference. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Thank you for your help.

Elaine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elaine,

You've always posted the most helpful replies on this forum, and it looks like no one else has taken a stab at this, so I thought I'd try to help. I haven't done admissions, and I have no experience to draw upon except my own. I was under the *impression* that at least one academic reference was recommended. Of course, these are the same referees that you'll use on all of your OMSAS applications, so Queen's probably won't be any different than those other schools.

It looks like you have 4 very strong references to draw upon. I don't see any particular advantage in leaving the program director out. Having a doctor as a reference isn't necessarily any better or worse than your EMS director, or your volunteer contact.

I probably haven't helped that much, and it sounds like you've got a tough choice to make (perhaps you've already made it). Best of luck with your application!

well Queen's does have a specific question asking why you chose who you did as referees. You should be able to elaborate on your choice there. For example, I haven't chosen one particular 'character/non-academic' referee because all of my referees know me from both aspects (and actually the professor that i chose probably knows my personality best) so I explained my choice there.

Good Luck!

Archived