Premed 101 Forums

referees

Guest cali

Are there any guidelines for choosing the 3 referees (ie. one academic/one employer/etc...). Are these guidelines individual to each school or OMSAS in general? I'm not too sure who else to ask for my 3rd referee...I have a academic referee and an employer as a referee. Would the 3rd referee be from a volunteer position, family friend, etc...

Thanks =)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there cali,

Unlike some schools (UBC, Dalhousie) the OMSAS application does not seem to specifically request certain types of referees.

Your best bet may be to choose an individual (non-family member) who knows you well, has known you for a while, and can comment on the qualities outlined in the OMSAS referee sheet, as well as other areas related to your motivation for medicine... oh yes, and who's willing to write you a positive reference--don't forget to ask that!

Good luck,

Kirsteen

Guest ThugJaanMD

Bigname science references do carry some real weight, so as long as you can get a strong referral, you should try to get at least 1 or 2 doc's/profs as soild references.

Kirsteen and ThugJaanMD,

Thanks for your reply.

I went onto MAC's website and there is no info on referees...

Does that mean that since OMSAS has no specific guidelines, specific ontario medical schools doesn't either?

Thanks =)

Yeah, I'm debating the same thing as well.

The problem is that I don't really know any employers extensively well. I have a boss from 3.5 years ago who could perhaps comment on my personal characteristics, but I'm wondering if that's too long ago for her to truly remember me. I worked with her for two years, though. However, I suspect that she might approach the reference as a forum to praise me at any chance - ie, trying not to point out that I have *any* weaknesses, as it may "devalue" the whole reference.

Meanwhile, I have a volunteering boss (who is also a psychologist, therefore has personality insight) that I've really only known for half a year, although this is very recent. She may not have as many anecdotes (although I'm not sure my former boss mentioned above would even remember any anecdotes..) but she would probably provide stronger support for my character.

Any advice on which I should choose?

Guest TimmyMax

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd throw in my two cents wrt referees... I looked for people who could vouch for my academic abilities as well as for my personal qualities (non-academic abilities if you will). As I was a Bio & Chem double major in school, I chose the Chem prof who knew me best and the Bio prof who knew me best as my first two referees. My final referee was my high school music teacher, who knew me really well outside of academia- I did a lot of music, among other things in high school and some in university, so I figured that he would be a good choice as he could lend insight into my qualities as a person rather than as a scholar. So I think that if you can get someone who knows you well as a person outside of school, it add that much more "colour" to your application.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived