Premed 101 Forums

re-take the MCATs?

while that 14 in BS is mighty impressive, the reality of it is that NONE of the schools that look at the mcat and that you remain eligible for in ontario will care about the 14. UofT will think your mcat is fine... but they won't be wowed by the 14. mcats play no role in helping your application at UofT, they can however hurt you if you fall below the 9's.

IF you had met the queen's cutoff of 10/10/10, doing any better than this doesn't help you. Queen's offers interviews to everyone meeting the gpa/mcat cutoff and THROWS AWAY your marks and mcat score once you're offered an interview. Moral of the story: 4.0GPA and 15/15/15T MCAT = 3.68GPA and 10/10/10P MCAT at Queen's

For Western, if you had met their 10 requirement in PS, then the 14 in BS may have helped you. 25% of the final admissions ranking is based on MCAT, but I have seen it claimed on these boards repeatedly that the MCAT portion taken into account EXCLUDES the BS section. So western is the only place where you may stand to loose if your BS or WS drops.

I would apply to wherever you can this year (not Queen's or Western though - unless you're from the SWOMEN area) you're still quite competitive with those stats. If it doesn't work out, keep the mcat rewriting a possibility in your mind. There's not much to loose if you re-write and drop (unless of course you drop further in PS which would eliminate UofT as an option) but if you can bring PS up to a 10, you'll guarantee yourself at least 2 interview invitations!

GOOD LUCK!!

Queen's offers interviews to everyone meeting the gpa/mcat cutoff and THROWS AWAY your marks and mcat score once you're offered an interview. Moral of the story: 4.0GPA and 15/15/15T MCAT = 3.68GPA and 10/10/10P MCAT at Queen's

For Western, if you had met their 10 requirement in PS, then the 14 in BS may have helped you. 25% of the final admissions ranking is based on MCAT, but I have seen it claimed on these boards repeatedly that the MCAT portion taken into account EXCLUDES the BS section.

GOOD LUCK!!

Wow... This post is informative.

I do think that it's a little odd that some schools would exclude BS though... I mean, isn't BS the section that is most relevant to a medicine application? I think that being grounded in biological sciences is a little more important, as a physician, than being able to calculate how far a projectile will travel or apply reasoning to a written piece about theatrical performance. I'm not inferring that the skills are irrelevant (far from that), I just believe that your bio/org chem knowledge is slightly more important.

thanks for the reply!

and i find it weird too that they would exclude the BS. I believe that calgary only includes BS and VR, but I guess every school is looking for something different.

I guess i'll just have to hope that my winning smile scoots me through. O_o

I'm still not sure about the re-write though. It's hard to think about really. Perhaps my mind is naturally blocking out the painful thoughts.

ignoring the BS section is only heresay... i haven't seen this officially stated in any UWO document... it may be an artifact of an older system they may have used years ago ( i remember seeing something that referred to minimum combinations of scores ie PS+VR must be >20; WS+BS must be >x, etc... for entry in 2006 or maybe even earlier ) it may no longer be the case. email is your best friend... schools are quite receptive i find.

BUT regardless, the only school that your 14BS mcat would give you an advantage at will completely ignore you because you haven't met the minimum 10/10/10 score. I know it's extremely painful to consider re-writing the mcat ESPECIALLY since your scores are outstanding in many of the other sections. cross your fingers and hope that your decent gpa, and great writing skills (that 'T' didn't come from nowhere) will get you an interview and acceptance at UofT.

Wow... This post is informative.

I do think that it's a little odd that some schools would exclude BS though... I mean, isn't BS the section that is most relevant to a medicine application? I think that being grounded in biological sciences is a little more important, as a physician, than being able to calculate how far a projectile will travel or apply reasoning to a written piece about theatrical performance. I'm not inferring that the skills are irrelevant (far from that), I just believe that your bio/org chem knowledge is slightly more important.

You'd think it is the most relevant, but actually VR reasoning I think is the most, there was a statistical study done and VR scores had a much stronger correlation with USMLE scores than did any of the other sections.

Archived