Premed 101 Forums

Entering Summer School on OMSAS

Guest ExtremelyOverwhelmed

Guest ExtremelyOverwhelmed

Hi,

Hi have a question about the Postsecondary Education section of the OMSAS application.

I took summer school once and need to enter it into my application.

Do I enter it by pressing "Add Institution" or "Other Prerequisites"?

I tried adding it as an additional insitution. But then it included the mark in calculating my GPA. Summer school is not supposed to be included in calculating your GPA.

Anyone dealt with this problem before?

Thanks!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Some schools count summer courses as part of your overall GPA (ie: Mac), while others do not (ie: UWO). I'm not sure what the correct manner to enter your summer courses is, but remember that the OMSAS app calculates a simple, cumulative GPA of ALL courses you've taken. This cumulative number is not necessarily what the individual schools will use to assess your app (ie: Ottawa weighted GPA). So I wouldn't worry about it too much- the schools will know which courses are summer courses and which ones to include in calculating your school-specific GPA.

Best of luck!

Tim

Guest slowpoke

I asked the same question of OMSAS via email and they told me that for a summer course, you should go to Add Year Details, choose the Year, and indicate the course as Supplementary. That way, the schools are aware that the course was taken outside of the normal academic year and they can deal with it however they want, (ie, in my case, the summer course I took will still count as a prereq for Western, but they won't use the mark in any GPA calculations).

Guest slowpoke

Here it is:o msas@netserv.ouac.on.ca

I found it on the OMSAS website, in the FAQ section, I think. They sent me two responses, one a standard form letter reminding me to check the (very sparse and poorly organized) FAQ's for answers to "all my questions" (yeah right), and a second response actually answering my question.

Have you seen the FAQ's on the AAMC website about their application form? Now those are complete! =)

Guest slowpoke

Puffy red-faced guy is an "o", for "omsas", but I guess you got that. I don't know how that happened, but it seems appropriate somehow!

Archived