MCAT Cutoffs

mphem

Hey guys,

I just got my MCAT scores back:

PS-11

BS-13

VR-9

WS-O

I know that my VR and WS are not stellar; cut-offs last year were a 10 and a P for those sections, respectively. So I'm wondering, should I apply to Queen's anyways for next year? I'm already doing my undergrad here. If not, are there any schools in Ontario (or Canada) that would accept me? Should I rewrite the test?

Thanks so much!

Hey...I got 12-12-10(BS) N. I'm not even going to bother with Queen's.

Unless you're SWOMEN, don't bother with Western. It's tough to say, but I doubt that you willl have much of a chance at Queen's. If you want to apply, go ahead, but don't invest too much in it.

You're good for Toronto.

I'd definitely apply to Toronto with those stats.. they state themselves that the cut-offs are not set in stone, and are used as "flags"

If you can afford it, I'd say apply to Queen's too... they SAY they have a hard cut-off but they seem to make the rare exception once in a while

No clue about Western.. I don't care for them very much.. they give NO love to us poor grad. students!

mphem, don't bother with either Queens OR Western... waste of money and time! a41 would have a better (but still slim) chance... their cutoffs are set in stone... I haven't heard of a pre-interview exception from either of these schools... and a 33 O is not particularly outstanding to merit they ignore 2 missed cutoffs. You're still fine for UofT and the non-mcat schools though! so all is not lost.

Good Luck!

I don't think you can stop anything. The last chance you get is right after the exam, where you can void it.

On another note, I read this disturbing thought/information on SDN...basically, the number of apps to a lot of American schools has DOUBLED this year (6500 ---> 14,000 at one school, and similar at many others). And it could easily be due to the fact that people can quickly rewrite their bad MCAT score now (like the poster in this thread) without having to wait out an app cycle. Soooo, it got me freaking out - do you think the cut-offs might shoot through the top here in Canada now because of that?

dammit!! first double cohort, now unlimited computerized mcats... what's the next thing they will invent to make getting in more difficult... i hope it doesn't change the cutoffs... i've just invented the following theory: the cutoffs won't change because no more double cohort, increased spots in medical schools (causing cutoffs to drop), and unlimited mcat will cancel each other out. :D that's what i'm hoping at least :P

Also, keep in mind that those who deserve to be getting 10 10 10 Q or higher will do so in the long run..... and, don't take this the wrong way, there will be those who never or take a lot longer to get to 10 10 10 Q (I don't think studying 1 more month will make that big a difference if you were scoring 8-8-8 on all your practice tests)

So basically, the students who were capable of meeting the cutoffs but bombed the first time, or were marginal and barely made it.... yeah those are the ones who now have a 2nd choice. How many are in this situation and are able to (time wise, and money wise) capatilize on the increased in CBT tests this year? Who knows, but I doubt it is so significant to change Western's or Queen's cutoffs significantly.

There will def. be more applicants, such as those who bombed in July and retook in Sept without knowing their scores for example....... but yeah, doubt it's significant.

i agree with rugby, even if alot of people retake the MCAT, it's just as likely for them to go down in their score as go up, especially within the limited time frame between administrations.

On another note, I don't believe the whole "double the number of applicants to american schools" bit, really doesn't seem logical if u think about it

On another note, I don't believe the whole "double the number of applicants to american schools" bit, really doesn't seem logical if u think about it

Well, the number of applicants to many schools DID double, whether you think it's logical or not. And those of us applying to the US are certainly noticing the effect (ridiculous number of holds doled out this season).

does anyone know if Queens always sticks to their cutoffs.. i got 34S with i a 9 in VR and it sucks that i will lielkly be eliminated consering i did well on the other sections, have a good GPa and ECs. :(

Queen's cut-offs are absolute. That is, if you meet the cut-offs, you get an interview. If not, you don't. The only exception is with the GPA cut-off for graduate students. Even graduate students, though, must meet the MCAT cut-offs (both individual sections and cummulative).

Elaine

The MCAT is standardized, so the number of people..or should i say the ratio of people getting 10s, 11s, 12s, etc should always be the same (i notice that the percentile stats say that usually 30% of applicants who get 10 and if the test is all relative how could the number of high mcat scores go up without having an equal number of mcat scores go down?

The MCAT is standardized, so the number of people..or should i say the ratio of people getting 10s, 11s, 12s, etc should always be the same (i notice that the percentile stats say that usually 30% of applicants who get 10 and if the test is all relative how could the number of high mcat scores go up without having an equal number of mcat scores go down?

I think that there WOULD be an equal number of low mcat scores for every high mcat score, so if the number of people getting a high mcat score goes up, there should be the same amount of people with low mcat scores for the same test.

But now with more chances for retest, the people who got low scores in the first place could have a higher chance of getting a higher score the 2nd time around. In the end, we would have more people with higher scores in a year compared to before.

Archived