Premed 101 Forums

Paragraph indents/line breaks in essay

I had the same problem and I've figured it out for the paragraphs at least...

What you have to do it add a <p> at the beginning of your paragraph and a </p> at the end. What you enter into the text box will look like this:

<p>Paragraph 1 stuff.... blah, blah, blah.</p>

<p>Paragraph 2 stuff.... blah, blah, blah.</p>

<p>Paragraph 3 stuff.... blah, blah, blah.</p>

I can't remember the code for indent and at this point I don't really think it matters...

Thanks Celeria!

I found that when I cut/pasted my essay into the online form on a PC it put those <p></p> tags in (these are html tags for paragraphs - ive been learning html for web design recently).

Now here is another question. Do these paragraph tags count in the overall limit? In word i have 7485 characters. I pasted the essay from word (with spaces) into the online form. When i went back to the online form, it put the <p></p> tags in. 5 paragraphs x 6 extra characters and I'm over the limit. Is this right/wrong...

I just wish they had a character counter like in the other section.

Oh well, already submitted.

Good luck to all!!!

• 10 months later...

I can't seem to insert paragraphs (whether I use <p></p> breaks doesn't make a single difference) at all.

It just appears all clumped up in the preview page...any ideas? Have they changed this from last year?

I sent them a message about this, and here was their reply.

The formatting of your essay in the preview page is in the control of Admissions. Your essay has been formatted correctly.

Yet, I see no paragraphs...

I can't seem to insert paragraphs (whether I use <p></p> breaks doesn't make a single difference) at all.

It just appears all clumped up in the preview page...any ideas? Have they changed this from last year?

I sent them a message about this, and here was their reply.

The formatting of your essay in the preview page is in the control of Admissions. Your essay has been formatted correctly.

Yet, I see no paragraphs...

There is nothing wrong with your essay. Do not attempt to adjust the paragraphs. We are now controlling the formatting. We can deluge you with a thousand paragraphs or expand a single one to crystal clarity...and beyond. We can shape your vision to anything our imagination can conceive. For the next year we will control all that you see and hear.

well, this thread has officially been hijacked. time to shut'er down.

Ohh please... people seriously shouldn't be freaking out about how many nonbreakable spaces are equivalent to a tab or how many line breaks they should have between self-inflated character traits.

I think its far more important to calm down and have a good time filling out the multiple pages of html forms.... good times...

Archived