Premed 101 Forums

rural community

How do you know if your address qualifies as a rural community ? A rural route number ? Or should I just phone admissions to find this out?

Im not from northern ontario (although ive spent a good deal of summer time up there), but I did grow up in the country of southern ontario my whole life. Would be great if there was some way to know ?

Hey Code Blue, I am in a similar position to you, never living in NO, but growing up in rural Southern Ontario. I called admissions, and the explanation I was given, is that they use our postal codes of lived residences to determine our geographic location. Since 1/3 of the pre-interview score is geography it is quite important. Good luck.

I was told that they use population density by the financial aide officer and define rural communities by well accepted definitions based on government documents etc. He showed me the two binders that are used in defining rural communities .... so it is not such a trade secret.

But it is true that you should concentrate more on the aspects of your application that are in your control ... for example now that you have sent in your application it is a good time to hone your interview skills and read newspapers, medically related issues, have practice interviews etc., and not worry about 'Where you came from' because that is not something you can change now and not help you if you make it to the next step ---> interview.

Beef

• 2 weeks later...

Yo Beef,

What are the 'binders' you speak of? Do you happen to know what parameters or resources they use to define "ruralness". I know I can't do anything about it, but the MCAT/application stress is over so I thought i'd load up with stress thats completly out of my control.

cheers

gf

Yo Beef,

What are the 'binders' you speak of? Do you happen to know what parameters or resources they use to define "ruralness". I know I can't do anything about it, but the MCAT/application stress is over so I thought i'd load up with stress thats completly out of my control.

cheers

gf

Sorry Greg, I took the tour/appt way back in June or July and those details have slipped my mind at this point. I do remember it was on the second shelf next to my left shoulder if that helps as he had to reach over his desk for it:D Im sure if you email or call NOSM they would be happy to stress you out :) Lucky for me I still have stress left such that I dont need to look for more. My grad studies and my upcoming salary negotiations are doing the trick to raise my stress hormones .... excellent!

I do enjoy your frequent posts as I like to feel as if the process is still alive and well rather than in stasis; listening to only silence.

I will probably have more information, I hope, by Thursday as Im going to Sudbury to present to a cohort of dietetic students about my organization as a possible rotation afterwhich Ive scheduled a meeting with a professor at NOSM to get a bit more insight into the school/my chances/what should I do to improve application/any information really to keep the dream ALIVE :cool:

Beef

Sweet, binders to the left. Its a good thing Im not in Sudbury right now, I might try and execute a covert plan to obtain those binders. Im a couple of beers into a relaxing evening with the boys, and we are discussing whether superman could fly, if he left Earths stratosphere. In our thorough geekness we have come up with a couple of equations that would seem to point to an inability to accelerate through a zero gravity field.

I firmly believe we could redirect this energy into a plot to obtain these "trade secrets", alas, if only I were 4 hours closer to Sudbury.

Thanks Beef,

gf

You guys are HILARIOUS!

Who you meeting with Beef?

Yeah, we seem to entertain ourselves well.

Im meeting with Marion Maar. I was on one of her diabetes research steering committees last summer and she encouraged me to chat with her once she found out I had applied. Since I mentioned my involvement in said committee in my activities list I used her as a verifier and informed her of this and my application.

Im always a little hesitant of telling people I applied to med school .... In previous application years somehow too many people knew I applied (parents would tell people and my references would tell others at work in the hospital) until I had random people, including senior medical residents and physicians, asking all the time if I had gotten in yet. It became uncomfortable after not getting in, so I seem to really limit who I tell. Marion was a good choice to tell of course though. Having 48 verifiers that had to be contacted definately blew my cover this year :)

Cool! I hear ya, I kept it silent for a while too, but it's really hard. People ask you what yoU,re doing next year, etc... it worked out for me ! Thankfully. I think within an hour of being accepted, half of my hometown knew! LOL Gotta love the parents!

I konw Marion, she's great!! Hopefully you'll have a good chat!

It's always so cool to read your stuff on here, all of you! I remember the days of wondering and being anxious! hehe

LOL Gotta love the parents!

I konw Marion, she's great!! Hopefully you'll have a good chat!

I didnt tell my parents this year :) until of course I let it slip that I had to get off the phone with them because I was working on an application. My mom got worried that I was looking for another job, going to ditch the girlfriend, and do some quarter century crisis attack I had to calm her down and told her that 'yet again I was applying to med ... but to keep it hush hush this time' :)

Dont bother asking Marion if she "knows Real Beef?" as I dont go by that in my everyday happenings :D

Beef

Dont bother asking Marion if she "knows Real Beef?" as I dont go by that in my everyday happenings :D

Beef

Phew, that saves me some emberaasment. If I got an interview I was just going to wander around the campus screaming Beef. I resisted a "where's the beef" joke in there. :cool:

Oh man, Im sorry guys, I don't know what wrong with me.

Phew, that saves me some emberaasment. If I got an interview I was just going to wander around the campus screaming Beef. I resisted a "where's the beef" joke in there. :cool:

Oh man, Im sorry guys, I don't know what wrong with me.

LOL :D Im hoping my decade of weight training/ body building will answer your question as to "Where's the Beef?" ... you'll know who is the Beef. :P

Beef

LOL :D Im hoping my decade of weight training/ body building will answer your question as to "Where's the Beef?" ... you'll know who is the Beef. :P

Beef

So, in this imaginary beef land you speak of? Are you also the guy in the axe body spray commercial, standing on the beach with a couple hundered half naked girls fighting over you??:cool:

gf

btw, if it is not an imaginary land, please dont hurt me, because I havent been working out for a decade:eek:

So, in this imaginary beef land you speak of? Are you also the guy in the axe body spray commercial, standing on the beach with a couple hundered half naked girls fighting over you??

I didnt have a couple hundred but had five in my house this weekend. :cool: However the situation wasnt quite Axe commercial-ish ... one was my girlfriend, the other four her friends ... so only one fighting over me :rolleyes: I did get a hug from each of them when they arrived but thats it :(:)

Beef

Archived