Premed 101 Forums

What exactly does UBC ask verifiers?

I've been searching around, and it seems UBC emails the verifier with the description the applicant put down, but asks the verifier to report the hours...is this true? Or does UBC give the verifier everything the applicant entered (description, hours, time frame) and ask them to verify that it is accurate?

For things like sports and even some volunteer positions where hours were not closely monitored, I could see how there could be some discrepancies...

Good point. I'm wondering the same. I think it is a good idea to contact your verifier beforehand and come up with a number that is good for the both of you. If you submitted the app already I would just call them up and let them know the hours put down and hopefully they agree!

A friend of mine was a verifier and was contacted by UBC...I can't remember exactly what she siad, but I believe it was something to the tune of a full description, and they will ask you to just verify that the hours are accurate, and they MAY ask you a few other questions if something seems fishy. Don't quote me on that, though.

They will ask 1) if you were involved with [Name of Organization], 2) duration of involvement and 3) an estimation of participation before the application date. I'm sure if there's a small discrepancy there's no big deal, they checked the verifier for one of my commitments that ended 10 years prior and I'm sure the numbers didn't match up precisely.

They emailed one of my verifiers and her hours and mine didn't match up - so UBC emailed me to ask if I could explain the discrepancy - I was able to and that was it - no problems - so as long as you can justify where you got the hours from, even if you are different from your verifier then it should be fine (if they sense something fishy then you may have a problem - but if you are honest don't worry about it).

The volunteering I did that had the discrepancy was for a first aid group (the St. John Ambulance Brigades) - and I had added on my courses I had taken through them (OFA3 and CPR) and hours I had accumulated through another cities Brigades, and so I had 100 more hours of my list then my verifier.

• 8 months later...
They will ask 1) if you were involved with [Name of Organization], 2) duration of involvement and 3) an estimation of participation before the application date. I'm sure if there's a small discrepancy there's no big deal, they checked the verifier for one of my commitments that ended 10 years prior and I'm sure the numbers didn't match up precisely.

Many of my verifiers for activities that I did not officially log my hours, like competitive dance for example, have already admitted that they will really have no idea how many hours I've invested into the activity, nor my start date. Should I give each of them my time estimate and expect them to memorize the figures in case they are contacted? This seems like overly high expectations of my verifiers!

what i did before submitting my application was contact my verifiers and tell them the number of hours that i planned to put in my application, and explain to them how i got those numbers (if there is no automatic logging system). if they were ok with my hours, then i went ahead with my application.

For the application cycle that just finished I was told by the UBC admissions people to just put "0" down for hours on things that seriously can't be tracked at all. I know that everyone wants to get huge numbers of hours on everything, but if you already have a few solid hours in one thing, and all you want to do is diversify your application a bit, just put the other stuff down and explain what it is and through a zero down for hours.

i wouldnt worry about it.

Archived