Premed 101 Forums

How important is Writing Sample?

KMC

Hi, I retook the MCAT this summer. When I walked out, I had bad feelings on all the sections, except writing. Today, when I finally got the score, I found that I actually improved on all the sections, except writing.

To give some more perspective...

My scores last year: VR = 8, PS = 14, BS = 12, WS = Q

My scores this year: VR = 9, PS = 15, BS = 14, and ... WS = M (!)

I actually expected a P or possibly another Q this year, because I felt pretty good about the WS after the test. I don't know what happened. How important is the WS score? Thx for any input.

Wow, nice job on that PS and BS!

WS is very important at UWO and Queen's, but the 9 already puts you out of running there.

WS is somewhat important at Calgary (where you may be eligible depending on your GPA) and Alberta. I know at Calgary, they either add or subtract points from your MCAT evaluation score based on your WS. So a bad score doesn't kill you automatically, but may make you less competitive. I'm not sure what exactly Alberta does with the WS score.

Hi, I retook the MCAT this summer. When I walked out, I had bad feelings on all the sections, except writing. Today, when I finally got the score, I found that I actually improved on all the sections, except writing.

I actually expected a P or possibly another Q this year, because I felt pretty good about the WS after the test. I don't know what happened. How important is the WS score? Thx for any input.

When I walked out I felt really confident WS. ended up with N. I really felt that it was at least a P. I think it's stupid. :mad:

you probably know you can't get into queens/western. If your gpa is good, you might make OOP cut-off for calgary. AB N=0 on their scale of 5 so i don't know if they'll even consider M. I'ld apply to dal (don't look at WS) since you make the cut and if your gpa's decent try mcgill, they take very few OOP but they don't look at WS and a 38 makes you very competitive there. I'ld say you have a really good shot at UofM (WS minimum is M so you're fine) but the app date is tomorrow (postmarked). It's not bad, just fill out a form and EC list, no essay/refs/transcripts until later. I'ld say any other schools, you're WS is too low ...

How much did you guys write for each essay?

I managed to fill up the entire viewable space without having to scroll up and down. The girl next to me filled up the viewable space with ONE PARAGRAPH.

I wrote quite a bit...I think I needed to scroll for one of them. I applied to a few schools in Canada...but it looks like I'll have to take my 12/12/10 down south :cool: (:()

Got this gem of a quote from SDN:

A good WS will not make up for a poor VR.

But a good tie can make up for a poor WS.

Archived