Premed 101 Forums

The WS

a 33+ is not a good MCAT?

Mine wasn't... so I took it again.

A good mcat is balanced. I surmise that med schools want well-rounded individuals who are strong collaborators, communicators, and scholars. Some also like those who are well versed in biological sciences, physical sciences, writing, AND verbal reasoning. Queen's happens to be one of these schools.

Mine wasn't... so I took it again.

A good mcat is balanced. I surmise that med schools want well-rounded individuals who are strong collaborators, communicators, and scholars. Some also like those who are well versed in biological sciences, physical sciences, writing, AND verbal reasoning. Queen's happens to be one of these schools.

again they are getting rid of some very good ap-llicant s who miss a subsection by 1.

come on lets be honest here a 34 with a 9 in one subsection is a much better score than a flat 30.

again they are getting rid of some very good ap-llicant s who miss a subsection by 1.

come on lets be honest here a 34 with a 9 in one subsection is a much better score than a flat 30.

Is there any chance that you got a 34 on your MCAT with a 9 in one section and are upset with the Queen's cutoffs?

Seriously, get over it. Determining a "good", "better" or "acceptable" MCAT is really subjective.

Queen's so happens to think that a balanced score with all 10's is a "good score" for THEM. Deal with it.

Actually, that's your opinion of what constitutes a better score. Just as you are entitled to your opinion, so are the medical schools as what makes up a good score. You can argue it all you want, but the fact remains that all the medical schools are churning out for the most part, good physicians. As such, their defined system of selecting students works well, and like the saying says, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Yes they may be overlooking some very good canadiates, but at the same time, what ever system they are using also works very well at identifying the other very good ones candidates. There's no ideal system to identify all these great students, and yes, there are many out there. A person with a 34 MCAT person doesn't mean that they are automatically better than a person with a 30 MCAT. If you really want to get into these schools that have the strict MCAT cut-offs, then suck it up, and re-write the MCAT like many others have done.

I was annoyed too when I missed the cutoff because of a 9 in VR (My overall was also 34). There was someone else on this board that had a 36 and had a 9 in VR and also missed the cutoffs. It sucks but there's nothing you can do about it. There are plenty of other schools you can apply to in Canada. It's not the end of the world.

Queen's doesn't think so :P

I think balance is important!

Side note: does anyone think that cutoffs will go higher than a point in each subject? (i.e. 12/12/12)

Queen's doesn't think so :P

I think balance is important!

Side note: does anyone think that cutoffs will go higher than a point in each subject? (i.e. 12/12/12)

No way....12 is 90-95% range, that eliminates too many applicants. ESPECIALLY when it's 3 sections of 12!

I think the cumulative would go up way before the sections would.

lol yes i did get a 34 on my mcat with a 9 in a subsection.. and yes i am spitefull.

BUT there's no subjectivity... why do you think the US has flexible cutoffs? in the US a a higher score ie 34vs 30 with a nine in a subsection is much better than a 30, and it should be: higher scores puts you in a higher percentile.

My point is mainly that someone can work so hard to get a top notch GPA, do tons of EC's have a GOOD MCAT, write amazing responses and then not even have their app LOOKED at because of a 9 in ONE section ( or a O). If they at least LOOKEd at the apps for people with 9(O's) in certain subsdections, and perhaps made exceptions on a case by case basis, then i would have no problem. But the whole computer "throwing out the app" without even reading it is ridiculous.

Oh well i'm good for US schools, and the ontario schools, except stupid queens (thankfully i'm swomen).

lol yes i did get a 34 on my mcat with a 9 in a subsection.. and yes i am spitefull.

BUT there's no subjectivity... why do you think the US has flexible cutoffs? in the US a a higher score ie 34vs 30 with a nine in a subsection is much better than a 30, and it should be: higher scores puts you in a higher percentile.

My point is mainly that someone can work so hard to get a top notch GPA, do tons of EC's have a GOOD MCAT, write amazing responses and then not even have their app LOOKED at because of a 9 in ONE section ( or a O). If they at least LOOKEd at the apps for people with 9(O's) in certain subsdections, and perhaps made exceptions on a case by case basis, then i would have no problem. But the whole computer "throwing out the app" without even reading it is ridiculous.

Oh well i'm good for US schools, and the ontario schools, except stupid queens (thankfully i'm swomen).

LOLLL you're only out for QUEENS? thats just ONE school. seriously, suck it up. life's not fair. and b****ing about it on this board isn't gonna change anything. i went through the same thing 2 years ago so i know how you feel. seriously, GET OVER IT.

LOLLL you're only out for QUEENS? thats just ONE school. seriously, suck it up. life's not fair. and b****ing about it on this board isn't gonna change anything. i went through the same thing 2 years ago so i know how you feel. seriously, GET OVER IT.

i'm am over lol! i'm jsut stating my opinion! can't a guy state his opinion on something!

I'm pretty worried about physical sciences going to 11.

Cutoffs suck, but honestly, really depends which side of the curve you fit under.

I agree with Elaine about the different schools and what they emphasize on though, it really gives everyone a chance. For instance, I have a blah GPA and I passed MCAT (cumulative very so so), but that gives me a chance at Western/Queens, whereas I'm kind of crap-shooting for Mac and U of T. So it's nice that there's the variety and not every school looks for the exact same things so else you'll get the same type of people in all the schools.

Dudes this is how I look at it. I retook with a 29Q. I ended up with a 36O on the second try. Though I basically eliminated myself from Queens and UWO, the silver lining is that I strengthened myself everywhere else.

^%$# Western and Queens! :P (j/k)

weren't you already eliminated from those two with a 29?

Archived