Premed 101 Forums

Post interview chances

So I think the class for Queen's is around 100 people and around 200 offers are sent out. I think that the number of interviews given are ~500. So for a concept of a waitlist to even exist, then that means that more than 100 applicants have to reject the offer for them to send out more offers to fulfill the 100 positions? Wouldnt that mean that the chance of getting into queens after an interview (based on these numbers) are more than 40% (give that all other things are equal)??

So I think the class for Queen's is around 100 people and around 200 offers are sent out. I think that the number of interviews given are ~500. So for a concept of a waitlist to even exist, then that means that more than 100 applicants have to reject the offer for them to send out more offers to fulfill the 100 positions? Wouldnt that mean that the chance of getting into queens after an interview (based on these numbers) are more than 40% (give that all other things are equal)??

One extra thing to consider is the fact that individuals that are accepted to another school are removed from the waitlist, without having refused an offer. This is especially relevant when conditional acceptances become firm, and there are a significant number of people that are no longer able to hold wailist positions. Therefore, the waitlist will actually move further than just the 200 positions corresponding to the number of offers, increasing the odds.

with the risk of sounding stupid.... I don't get it.

Sorry - the way I wrote it above is probably kinda confusing. My point is that its not actually the first 200/500 that get offers. The total number of people that the school is selecting from once it reaches the waitlist stage is actually less that the remaining 400 people, as some of those individuals are removed from the waitlist because they are accepted to other schools.

Example:

Say you're the person that is initially ranked as 250th on the Queen's ranking post-interview. The initial top 100 selections are offered a position at the same time the other schools are offering positions to their top selections.

Initally, you are the 150th person on the Queen's waitlist. However, say 50 of the people ahead of you on the waitlist firmly accepted to other Ontario medical schools - this removes them from the Queen's waitlist, and you are now the 100th person on the wailist.

This make better sense?

The waitlist at Queen's moves a LOT, because they interview students from out of province as well (there is no Ontario quota). Those students will typically stay closer to home if they are offered a spot elsewhere. I believe Queen's went through their entire waitlist this year.

Hope that helps.

The waitlist at Queen's moves a LOT, because they interview students from out of province as well (there is no Ontario quota). Those students will typically stay closer to home if they are offered a spot elsewhere. I believe Queen's went through their entire waitlist this year.

Hope that helps.

no they didn't :( although I wish they did! :P

I don't think that we went through all the people on the waitlist last year. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of good people on the waitlist didn't end up making it off the waitlist. For ex. people like Dante :)

The only reason I said that is because someone in the class mentioned that they had been rejected, only to have Queen's call them back and give them an offer two weeks before class started...

• 2 months later...
does anyone know how queens determines who gets offers of admission?

Ie are the MCAT GPA used only for getting an itnerview and thenb "thrown out" with the interview then determining who gets offers? or are they all weighted like with UWO?

I think it's 50% interview, 50% essays. They throw out the grades and MCAT once the invites are sent.

I was told by Jen Saunders that they are doing it differently this year: in the interview they will have both your OMSAS sketch and your written submissions. They are not grading your writing as they did in years past. I suppose that means your interview is everything. (Which is pretty much what it was in the first place. If you have a bad interview, your essays probably aren't going to help you.)

I have no idea about the value of the sixth question; I didn't have anything there. I think letters of reference are moot. Everyone has good reference letters. It's the bad ones that mean something.

while I'm trolling:

I DID fill something in for the optional question, it was some extracurricular thing or other that I couldn't fit into my sketch and was not appropriate to describe in detail elsewhere. Nothing fluffy, just "something else". Of course, last year they didn't HAVE that material but in the end I got in, so what I wrote was not to serious detriment.

g'luck all

K

I'm quite certain the breakdown is 50% essays, 50% interview. I was pretty worried about that last year as well as I didn't think my essays were stellar, but it worked out in the end.

When I talked to Jennifer Saunders last week she said that they are going to shift the weight to the interview now, I think she said something like 20-30% for essays and references..but it used to be 50-50

Archived