Premed 101 Forums

Psychiatry!

Jimmery

Continuing in the same tone as other threads for other specialties (where residents/interns/whoever could voice their opinions on a given specialty)... Is anyone out there specializing in Psychiatry? What caught your interest in the field?

Lately I've been thinking about Psychiatry--it might be the only one where you are able to focus intently on the patient and their perspective/illness, instead of so much on the pathology/disease (even though it would usually be a mixture of both, in whatever you might practice). I'm wondering how valid of point this is to students who would enjoy a strong connection to their future patients.

Is a Psychiatrist philosophical? Does one get to learn more about themselves and about humanity? How introspective can Psychiatry be? :o

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Jimmery,

im in the same situation as you jimmery, physc is definatly something i would like to look into more.

i imagine that yes, it could prove quite introspective, be this for the better or worse:confused:

the human mind an how it dominats everything that makes us be is something i would like to know more about.

such a topic combined with some sort of pharmacology would site me just fine~!

Archived