Premed 101 Forums

Classifying high school co-op

Guest byjude

Guest byjude

How would you classify activities like high-school co-op (or, for that matter, unpaid internships) on the OMSAS sketch? I'm tempted to place my co-op under "employment", because of the nature of the work I was doing (mostly administrative) and the way I was regarded - as a junior employee.

However, given that the position was unpaid, it would make sense to list it as a volunteer position. I'm not sure that's completely accurate either, especially since I did my co-op at a private for-profit company, which is a bit of an odd location to volunteer with - and might be viewed as such. Thinking back, I know that I have done similar work in volunteer positions, but those were always affiliated with the government or third sector.

Or, is this when that handy "Other" classification finally comes in handy? I'm still thinking I'm going to go with employment, as long as it is accepted that positions of employment don't need to be remunerated (regardless of what the other rewards might be).

Where would you put unpaid co-op and intern positions?

Guest aneliz

I would put it into the 'other' category... as you point out, it really doesn't fit under any of the others too well.

You could put it under employment... but I would NOT put it under volunteer... you were compensated, with grades rather than $$...

Guest blinknoodle

I put my high school co-op under employment. I stated explicitly that it was in fact, for high school co-operative education.

This was also because my Employment category was particularly sparse since I remained at the same job for a long period of time.

I never actually used the 'Other' category.

-bn

Guest byjude

So is it safe to assume that you can use the employment category whether or not you actually were paid, if you don't think an activity fits the volunteer category? Or would you only use it if you were compensated in some form (eg, returned favours, paid in trade, for credit, etc)?

I would definitely not put it under volunteering. That's almost always solely associated with community service.

The employment category seems best.

Archived