Premed 101 Forums

An another non trad applicant!

I'm so happy! A place to discuss with others, to share our personnal experience (and also... to practice my english....).

Yes, i'm a non traditionnal applicants. 32 year old, working full time since the end of my B.Sc, and now, trying to reach med school. And i really dont care wich med school. :D

I have a question. Is there an med school who take a look to our personnal experience as well as our GPA? I means that in Quebec, only marks counts.

JF:cool:

Is there an med school who take a look to our personnal experience as well as our GPA? I means that in Quebec, only marks counts.

All English speaking med schools in Canada look at more than just your GPA. However, they do all still have minimum GPA requirements. Some of the schools have cut-offs based on all your marks, while others have cut-offs based on only 2-3 years. Some schools weight your more recent years more heavily, while others allow you to exclude a number of courses depending upon how many courses you have completed.

In addition to marks, schools will consider your MCAT marks (other than McMaster, Ottawa and NOSM). Again, how they consider these marks is dependent upon the school. Some have relatively high minimum cut-offs in each section, while others use the exam as a flag.

All medical schools try to figure out who you are as a person. However, how they do so depends on the school. Many require essay-type answers to be submitted. Most consider your reference letters. (All schools require reference letters; however, some weight them quite heavily, while others do not.) All medical schools have interviews - either traditional panel interviews or Mini Multiple Interviews where there are a number (~10) stations that you rotate through.

Each of the schools have different criteria. Thus, if you have one weaker area of your application, but other strong areas, you should still be able to earn a spot in medical school, provided you are flexible as to where you go. For example, an applicant with a lower MCAT mark might be more suited to U of T's admission process, while a student with a lower overall GPA might be more suited to Queen's or Western.

Best wishes on your journey!

Elaine

I've never thoght about applying in Ontario med school before, but some people at work change my mind....

Ontario is a province in which many OOP applicants apply, because unlike most other provinces, many of the medical schools do not distinguish between in province and out of province applicants. U of T and Queen's make no distinction. Western makes no distinction between non-SWOMEN (south-western Ontario) applicants and OOP applicants. McMaster does make a distinction, but I'm not sure the details. Ottawa has several pools. I'm assuming that you could apply in the french stream, which lowers the GPA requirement considerably. NOSM strongly favours those from rural and remote areas.

Elaine

Hi there,

We have 1 francophone military in the francophone stream at U of O in my class (meds 09). Apparently he is the first and a military/francophone spot isn`t the norm, at least not at the time. Doesn`t actually make sense why not.

But anyway, just a heads up so you can look more into it if you like. That is just something I heard. But if they've done it once, they should be able to do it again!

U of O support staff are really approachable and helpful, so don`t hesitate to contact them once you have some solid questions. (just don`t wait til they are super busy at interview time and when offers of admission go out).

Hello.

Satsuma, the francophone military in your class isnt the first franco. :)

My Comd, graduated from U of O in 92 if i'm correct. He was among the first batch of military applicants to get a seat in the MMTP program. And also a french canadian.

I notice that you said french military isn't the norm at U of O. That's what i've heared. My boss said that is because they prefer to enter an university here in Quebec, even if its mean to go at Chicoutimi or Moncton. And now, since 2007, we have reserved spots in Quebec university (also McGill). So there will be less military french canadian to apply at U of O. And that's good for me!!!

About the MCAT. If i decide to do it, does U of O will take it into account?

Hi Again,

I was refering to the actual francophone stream at U of O. So currently, you can apply to do your studies in the anglophone stream where all your classes and clinical activities are in English or the francophone stream where the majority of your coursework and clinical work is in French. They are 2 different programmes (though we write the same exams).

When your Comd was here he would have been doing pretty much all his schooling in English as there was no dedicated francophone programme.

Like I said, I don`t see why it would make a difference what stream you apply to for the military spots. But I did hear from a faculty member that getting the funding to a franco spot involved a bit of work. (by franco spot, I am referring to the spot in the programme not the person applying). I guess maybe putting the funding to the franco spot means taking away funding from the anglo spot?? And maybe they are managed seperately, who knows....not me!

Just brought it up so you can get as informed as possible before applying. Maybe it isn`t even an issue since they've already done it! (assuming you are interested in applying to the francophone stream)

Anyway, good luck with your application!

About the MCAT...Ottawa doesn`t take it into consideration because there is no French equivalent

So, there is two different streams. Well, i guess if i choose the french one, i'll be improving my english skills anyway.

Maybe i didnt understood you as well as i believe! My english is not perfect.

I spoke with the admission dept, and U of O didnt care about wich stream military applicants want to go since the military is providing the funding.

Also, my boss did all his program in english. French stream didn't exist when he was there.

We'll see what happens until next summer. I'm in the process for improving my GPA (full time works and full time study!!!! :D ) and i'm getting as much info as possible about med schools. But Ottawa will surely be my first choice.

Thanks everyone for your answers and your help.

• 1 month later...

JULIE

thank you for the info..i understand how WGPA works now. I am not sure now. My WGPA for my undergrad in Nursing works out to be 3.70. I am confused now. Should I go do my masters and improve my gpa or what should I do??

Also how bad is it if I don't have all my required courses. All i have is half course in Bio and half course in chem...that's all.

Quebecrunner, thank you. i am very very very excited now cos I can apply as a Reserve Force member.

Also how bad is it if I don't have all my required courses. All i have is half course in Bio and half course in chem...that's all.

Well, you would need to take the courses. You can do them the same yr you apply though (Sept-April), they don't have to be completed by the time you submit your sketch.

My WGPA for my undergrad in Nursing works out to be 3.70. I am confused now. Should I go do my masters and improve my gpa or what should I do??

I'm not sure what the cutoff is for the military. If I had to guess, I would say 3.7 would be ok. Of course there are other factors involved so meeting the cutoff doesn't guaranty an interiview.

Satsuma

Thanks for the info. I checked with them and the military. I've learnt that wgpa of 3.7 is a little difficult to get in i.e. doesn't guarantee an interview. But then again nothing wrong with applying...it doesn't hurt. So I'll still apply and see if I get lucky.

Now I am also in the process of applying to the Masters program here at UofC for Fall 08. my application to UofO med school will be sent out in 08 as well, so I am just wondering, in case I don't make it. Is it possible that when I apply again in 09, they'll use my first year masters gpa along with my gpa from my 3rd and 4th year bachelors to calculate wgpa?????

So in this case:

year 1 3rd year undergrad gpa x 1

year 2 fourth year undergrad gpa x 2

year 3 first year masters gpa x 3

Any thoughts?

Satsuma

Thanks for the info. I checked with them and the military. I've learnt that wgpa of 3.7 is a little difficult to get in i.e. doesn't guarantee an interview. But then again nothing wrong with applying...it doesn't hurt. So I'll still apply and see if I get lucky.

Now I am also in the process of applying to the Masters program here at UofC for Fall 08. my application to UofO med school will be sent out in 08 as well, so I am just wondering, in case I don't make it. Is it possible that when I apply again in 09, they'll use my first year masters gpa along with my gpa from my 3rd and 4th year bachelors to calculate wgpa?????

So in this case:

year 1 3rd year undergrad gpa x 1

year 2 fourth year undergrad gpa x 2

year 3 first year masters gpa x 3

Any thoughts?

If you do a course-based masters and it is completed, they will take the entire degree and count it as your last year (eg. if your degree is 2 year course-based, it will count as just 1 year for the wGPA). So if your degree isn`t course-based this will not apply to you. Also if the degree isn`t completed it won`t apply to you either. They will do this only if your undergrad doesn`t meet the cut-off. With the recalculated wGPA you are then put in with the undergrad pool if it now meets the cut-off.

If you do a research-based degree they will not cound any courses toward your wGPA. If your undergrad wGPA doesnt meet the cut-off they may invite you to submit a grad application package. You will be evaluated on things such as productivity (publications, poster presentations, scholarhips etc.). I am not sure but I would suspect you would need to have your grad school completed to go via this route ? Even if it wasn't required, it would be hard to be really productive in just one year of grad school.

Satsuma

thanks again for the valuable information. Yeah I will be doing a course based Masters.

Another thing I was wondering is, my final year of my Bachelors of Nursing had very little coures and mostly clinical practicums. Those have a Pass/Fail grade. I passed em all and in my last semester of my studies I only had one 3 credit course and a full time practicum worth 15 credits. Would my final year still be calculated under wgpa or not?

Thanks

So basically my year 4 of my BN had the following:

Year Four

Fall Semester

o Leadership/Trends and Issues - 4 credits

o Integrated Professional Practice - consolidation (3 wks) - NURS 4112

3credits

o Senior Nursing Option - 3 credits

Winter Semester

o Transition to Independent Practice - 10 credits

Science Option - 4 credits

Archived