Premed 101 Forums

High school awards & upcoming ECs

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

I find myself with a fair bit of space left in my autobiographical sketch. When searching for the names of some of my OAC awards, I realized that I have a lot of other, smaller awards from earlier in high school, back to grade 10, including subject awards. I think that I will list some of the more significant awards (like the awards in the name of an alumni, given for highest mark or community service or whatever), but I can't decide whether to list high school course awards, like Grade 10 Math Award, etc. Should I list these? They seem sort of frivolous, but I do have extra space...

The other question is about activities I would like to get involved with this year. Should I list activities that I will be starting this September? There are a few clubs that I've always wanted to join but never quite got around to.. They would certainly represent a broader variety if I listed them, but I feel weird listing something if I only started it two weeks before the deadline. Would you list these activities or not bother?

Guest tweep0

Hi avisee,

When I applied, I also listed specific course awards I received in high school. However, I divided them into years of high school; something like this: 'Gr 11 Math, English awards for highest academic achievement'. If you have the space, its never frivolous to list accomplishments.

Listing ECs that you just started may be risky. I could seem like they are there just to fill up your sketch. So, I wouldn't put in too many. However, if you will be joining these clubs and they somehow reflect your interests and you will be able to talk about them in your interview, go for it. You could even try to explain yourself in the supplementary parts of the application (UofT essay, Mac questions, Ottawa sketch, Queen's questions). Good luck.

Tweep

Guest coleflower

I also listed specific course awards that I won, but in the opposite way to Tweep, ie. Math award, gr 10, 11, and 12. This ended up being annoying because of the way they ask you to elaborate on the Ottawa detailed sketch.

Just a tip to make things easier

Coleflower

Guest CTU24

I'll second the advice by the other posters concerning HS awards...i did similar things

As for listing events in Sept, I did that with a new tutoring agency I started at think it is fine as long as it is not 10+ new activities that you "coincidentally" appear to be starting this year. Also, if you have done that activity elsewhere (and for a few years), it is not uncommon for you to continue it in a new place...like with my different tutoring jobs that were all listed on my sketch.

The best advice I can give is use you common sense. As a future Dr, honesty is important, and you are the best judge of when you are stretching the truth. Plus, anything on your sketch is fair game at an interview, and if you are caught padding your sketch it is game over.

Best of luck

CTU24

Archived