Premed 101 Forums

Course Credits & Summer Courses

Guest sparkle

Guest sparkle

Hello,

I'm a bit confused with how to enter my courses and grades for my application and was wondering if anyone could answer my questions:

1) I have these half-year lecture & lab courses that are worth four credits total and given a single grade. Are they equivalent to 1 OMSAS credit total?

2) I have these half-year lecture courses worth two credits and the corresponding lab courses worth two additional credits and each are given a separate grade. Are these equivalent to 1 OMSAS credit each or 1 and 0.5 OMSAS credit respectively? I just though it was kind of odd that a 4 credit course and a 2 credit course could both be worth only 1 OMSAS credit when the work-load is like doubled!!

3) Also, I have these half-year lecture and lab courses worth three credits. I'm assuming these are 1 OMSAS credit, not 0.5, and not the combination of both to make 1.5 credits?

4) I've taken courses every summer but I noticed that OMSAS only has room for 10 courses per year. I'm speculating that the summer GPA is not taken into consideration but I was wondering if there's anywhere that I could at least mentioned having taken those courses. Without those courses, my GPA is 3.88 and 28 credits...but with those summer courses, my GPA is about 3.97 and 36 credits. So, I'm feeling kind of jipped considering summer semesters are like any other normal semester at my school.

5) Which brings me to another concern. I noticed the Ontario schools require 30 credits (3 years) to be eligible to apply. I have 36 but because summer courses are not shown, I only have 28!! Whatever am I supposed to do?? My school's tri-mester is such a disaster!! I probably would have been better off taking summers off!!!

6) Also, I noticed most schools have their own ways of calculating GPA (i.e. Toronto, Ottawa, McMaster). Do these schools also look at the OMSAS GPA or do they ignore it completely and do their own thing? Yeah, I'm feeling kinda screwed over by OMSAS :(

Thanks in advance :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

One of the best things that you could do is call the OMSAS Medical Supervisor on Monday and ask them how to properly enter your information, if you can't find the details online.

To answer at least one of your questions, one of the reasons why we pay OMSAS is that they provide services to each of the medical schools during the application cycle. One of these is to compile and report academic performance for each applicant per each school's stipulations. So, in the case of UofT, who don't technically count summer courses (although this may not apply to you given your trimester system) your summer course marks may not be included in the GPA calculation they see. On the other hand, McMaster wish to see a reported GPA that includes every course you've ever taken at the postsecondary level, thus your summer courses will definitely appear in the GPA that McMaster will see for you.

Lastly, although summer courses may not count towards the GPA, schools will give you credit for having taking the courses, i.e., the courses will count towards the total number of credits that you have completed. Thus, the 30 credit requirement should not be a problem for you. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest avisee

Regarding OMSAS calculations: I'm pretty sure the OMSAS GPA is just sort of a rough estimate. Those schools that choose to use different weighting formulae (eg, Ottawa and U of T) will only officially use the GPA that they calculate by their own scale. They may look "with interest" at your other marks (ie, they have access to your transcript) but don't really significantly take the numbers into account, especially when it comes to meeting cutoffs.

I've taken summer courses, and I think I entered them in as another term. I entered all of my Fall-Winter courses together (eg, F03-W04, I listed as 2004, Full-Time), and then created another term to enter the two summer courses I took (eg, S04 - listed as 2004, Supplementary).

I'm not sure offhand about 4 credit courses, but I know there are other people around here who've had experience with that. You can also email OMSAS directly: they usually can help out with questions like that.

Guest sparkle

Silly me...of course I can ask OMSAS directly :b The people on this forum has been so incredibly helpful that I almost forgot the OMSAS people exist :lol

Btw, including summer courses as "supplementary" seems to make much sense...thanks avisee

Guest vitegeist

see "getting screwed by OMSAS" thread:

p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=376.topic

and:

--------------

< Some of my courses are 4 UBC (3+1 lab) or 8 UBC (6 + 2 labs) credits; does this mean that the 4 credit courses translate into 1.5 OMSAS credits? >

No, 4 credit courses are given an OMSAS length of 1.

> is also an overload), I would actually only get 9.5 OMSAS credits (because four of my courses were worth 4 UBC credits each), which is less than a full course load. > >

The medical schools are well aware of this.

Thank you

OMSAS

------------

I don't know what it means if "the medical schools are well aware of this" but I'm thinking of including a note in the section regarding my transcript not reflecting my academic ability, simply to say that while I did an overload, OMSAS doesn't show it that way.

Archived