Premed 101 Forums

Activity before age 16 continuing after age 16

Guest UofT Student

Guest UofT Student

Hey all,

How should one approach filling in the online Sketch with respect to an activity that began before one turned 16, but continued after one's 16th birthday? An example would be the "Formal Education" of high school. Should we list the start date as the month and year of our 16th birthday, or the actual month and year we started high school?

Thanks.

Guest blinknoodle

I also included items which I began before I was 16 (it is no big deal) - my high school and even some long-standing volunteering I had done. Put the real date you started, because that what you actually did (it is possible to enter in the earlier dates in OMSAS, if that is what you are worried about).

-bn

Guest CommerceStudent

Hey BN,

For those items you included before you turned 16, were they things you continued to participate in after you were 16 or were they just short commitments that you finished before age 16? Thx.

Guest aneliz

Do not include 'short' commitments that ended before you turned 16...one of the keys to a good med school application is ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS ASKED and FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS. The OMSAS applications explicitly states that you should only include things from age 16 on.... including things that started before 16 but continued after is okay...and using the correct start date is okay too... but adding other activities that took place entirely before you were 16 in order to 'pad' the list will not be looked well on.

Archived