Premed 101 Forums

Coming back to Canada

Tristan

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=197319#post197319

browse the Carms website, figure out how it works, and interpret the data as you perceive it to be..you might want to know that the US grads matched into:

FAMILY MEDICINE

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY

INTERNAL MEDICINE

LABORATORY MEDICINE

PEDIATRICS

OBSTETRICS & GYNECOLOGY

TOTAL: 15

I think we need to read into those numbers a bit more.

I'm sure more than 15 Canadians went to the US to study medicine.

Of the 15 that decided to match through Carms, other important factors come up like a) did they do electives at their 1st choice? B) Step scores? c) Which US school did they attend? (I know...I hate this one but I don't think you can ignore it). Of these 15, were they students at top 25 med schools?

Other factors to consider: of the Canadian students that went south, how did they fare in the US match? Unfortunately, I don't think this data is available (because it's clumped with other foreign citizens).

I think we need to read into those numbers a bit more.

I'm sure more than 15 Canadians went to the US to study medicine.

Of the 15 that decided to match through Carms, other important factors come up like a) did they do electives at their 1st choice? B) Step scores? c) Which US school did they attend? (I know...I hate this one but I don't think you can ignore it). Of these 15, were they students at top 25 med schools?

Other factors to consider: of the Canadian students that went south, how did they fare in the US match? Unfortunately, I don't think this data is available (because it's clumped with other foreign citizens).

absolutey we do (need to read into the numbers a bit more)

to be exact, i believe around 300 went to the US and are from canada? don't quote me on it..i think its on the aamc website. 1 went unmatched. and something like 16 or more dropped out. Its all on the website

Schools might be a good one to know, but one person on this forum was able to match into IM and he was a wayne state grad. I believe he also mentioned something about program directors at UT recognizing wayne as a good clinical school. He didn't do an elective at UT, but i believe he did work out a month with the former chief resident in private practice.

As for schools, I forget who it was, but one person on this forum who was a flie reviewer for carms alluded to the fact that besides certain schools (yale, harvard, and the like), not much is known about US medical schools, or at least not as much as canadian schools by the program directors.

Good thread!

Thank you.

From what I interpreted if I go to a US medical School I have a decent chance at getting matched back home...

Butttt if I decide to go anywhere else, Caribbean, UK, Australia etc... I'm unlikely to come home.

It also depends on your specialty. Putting schools aside for the meantime, most of the residences that the US grads matched into are moderately competitive at best. We don't know how US grads would fare if they went for more competitive residencies like ENT derm or optho. Its also important to note that last year all the ones that matched actually matched into their top 3 program choices, which is pretty good.

check out a thread called US md, canadian residency by sharpie...FFP, a file reviewer for carms had a great post about this specific situation

nope no US citizenship...How difficult are we talking here for getting a visa and stuff? like next to impossible?

Too hard to say. I've asked PDs at schools I've interviewed and most were adamant that as long as you've got the scores and other pieces to back you up, they'll take you on. Doubly so at hospitals affiliated with your school as a certain degree of 'inbreeding' occurs.

absolutey we do (need to read into the numbers a bit more)

to be exact, i believe around 300 went to the US and are from canada? don't quote me on it..i think its on the aamc website. 1 went unmatched. and something like 16 or more dropped out. Its all on the website

Schools might be a good one to know, but one person on this forum was able to match into IM and he was a wayne state grad. I believe he also mentioned something about program directors at UT recognizing wayne as a good clinical school. He didn't do an elective at UT, but i believe he did work out a month with the former chief resident in private practice.

As for schools, I forget who it was, but one person on this forum who was a flie reviewer for carms alluded to the fact that besides certain schools (yale, harvard, and the like), not much is known about US medical schools, or at least not as much as canadian schools by the program directors.

Good thread!

Do you have a link for those info?

Archived