Premed 101 Forums

UWO 10 half credits vs UBC credit count? BSc at UBC can't apply cus not honors?

I've been reading and googling the subject but I still don't get it.

your GPA using 5 full or equivalent courses (10 half credits, 30 credit hours) taken between Sept-Apr of a single academic year. If you took >full course load, they drop your lowest course.

I'm from UBC and this does not make any sense to me...10 half credits? 30 credit hours? apparently 4 credit course= = 1 credit hour? Or does it mean for term one and two I need at least 30 credits total?

First year: credits

term 1: 17

term 2: 14 ( I failed a course here)

summer school: 6 ( retook the course + an additonal course)

Second year

term1: 10 (I failed a course here)

terms 2: 15

summer school : 6 ( retook the course + an additonal course)

They said that Schulich Medicine does not accept repeat courses. If a course is repeated, the course is not counted in the course load for that year, nor is it factored into the GPA calculation for that year. Therefore, if you take 5 full or equivalent courses but one of them is a repeat course, we will consider that a 4 course load year and that year will not be considered for GPA cutoff purposes.

So does this mean that year 1 and year 2 I repeated a course it would not be considered? I understand that you need level 300 courses and stuff like that..but lets' pretend my year 1 and year 2 I took all 300 level courses. In year 1 even though I failed one course I still have 31 total credits achieved. Does this count as 5 full or equivalent courses? or if you automatically fail you are considered having a 4 course load year?

Summer school credits are not considered to year 2 I did get 30 credits total, it would not be considered yes?

I am at UBC taking animal biology. Isn't the requirement for UBC and UWO masters program different? IF I can get into UBC masters program...is that enough?

Since I will obtain a bachelors of science degree...it means I cannot apply for med at UWO?

I'm a co-op student so my schedule would be kinda messed but I'll call the pppl later to deal with it

thanks

your GPA using 5 full or equivalent courses (10 half credits, 30 credit hours) taken between Sept-Apr of a single academic year. If you took >full course load, they drop your lowest course.

I'm from UBC and this does not make any sense to me...10 half credits? 30 credit hours? apparently 4 credit course= = 1 credit hour? Or does it mean for term one and two I need at least 30 credits total?

One full course is a course that runs from September to April. For example, a whole year psychology course or a whole year chemistry course would count as a full course. Western requires five full courses between September and April in order to count that year. I believe that 6 credit hours count as one full course; however, someone from UBC would be better informed to answer this question.

First year: credits

term 1: 17

term 2: 14 ( I failed a course here)

summer school: 6 ( retook the course + an additonal course)

Second year

term1: 10 (I failed a course here)

terms 2: 15

summer school : 6 ( retook the course + an additonal course)

They said that Schulich Medicine does not accept repeat courses. If a course is repeated, the course is not counted in the course load for that year, nor is it factored into the GPA calculation for that year. Therefore, if you take 5 full or equivalent courses but one of them is a repeat course, we will consider that a 4 course load year and that year will not be considered for GPA cutoff purposes.

So does this mean that year 1 and year 2 I repeated a course it would not be considered? I understand that you need level 300 courses and stuff like that..but lets' pretend my year 1 and year 2 I took all 300 level courses. In year 1 even though I failed one course I still have 31 total credits achieved. Does this count as 5 full or equivalent courses? or if you automatically fail you are considered having a 4 course load year?

Western counts the first time you took a course, not the second or subsequent times. Therefore, your failed course would count as a GPA of 0.0 and a weight of either a half or a full course, depending upon the length of the course. If you took more than 5 full courses (excluding repeated courses), then Western will count your best 5 courses. As such, your failed course could essentially not be counted.

Summer school credits are not considered to year 2 I did get 30 credits total, it would not be considered yes?

Western does not count summer courses.

I am at UBC taking animal biology. Isn't the requirement for UBC and UWO masters program different? IF I can get into UBC masters program...is that enough?

Western does not consider graduate work. They only look at your marks in undergraduate courses, and even then, only in your two best full time years. You must, however, complete any graduate degrees you've started prior to starting at med school at Western.

Since I will obtain a bachelors of science degree...it means I cannot apply for med at UWO?

Western requires an honours of equivalent degree. Will your degree allow you to do a Masters degree in that subject?

Hope that helps!

Elaine

Archived