Premed 101 Forums

What is the future of CCFP(EM)? I've read conflicting opinions..

tooty

I'm very much interested in the CCFP(EM) route. However, I won't be graduating medical school for at least 4 years. (Let's assume for the sake of argument that I will get in in the next couple of years).

I've been reading about CCFP(EM) vs. FRCPC and it seems that CCFP(EM) physicians are generally accepted and valued in the ED. In a number of Dr. Sahi's posts, he mentions that there are numerous routes to obtain an EM after your CCFP. You can either obtain your EM after CCFP, or you can work for a number of years in an ED and take your equivalency exam (?). I'm sure there are other routes as well. In another discussion, one person points to how physicians that he/she has worked with generally respect CCFP(EM) physicians. Reading this leads me to believe that the CCFP(EM) route is here to stay for many years to come.

However, another poster had this to say:

several doctors (incl a director of a tertiary centre ER) seem to think that the CCFP-EM's are going to be phased out of major urban centres and pushed to rural areas during our career, much like is happening with CCFP-Anesthesia. Food for thought.

Why is this happening when most are happy with how the CCFP(EM) is working out? Is this even true? I'm faced with the very real possibility that I might have to attend medical school abroad (Australia) and would be disadvantaged in the already-competitive FRCPC stream. CCFP(EM) looks like a good program for me but I'm now worried that it might be weeded out.

There is usually a desire in Urban centres to hire FRCPC guys, however the sheer numbers usually mean it isn't possible. All of the FRCPC guys here (Kingston) speak very highly of the CCFP(EM) route and believe that WITH experience, they are equivalent.

From what I can tell, the push for FRCPC really only affects new graduates, since in that case, having 5 years vs 3 years of experience means something, especially in the face of tertiary level trauma.

Archived