Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Med School Open Houses

Guest avisee

Guest avisee

McMaster is apparently having an Open House for prospective applicants July 7 and 21 (info on their website).

Do the other Ontario medical schools also offer Open Houses?

Guest aneliz

There is no open house at UWO....although the first year meds class and the premed society have several events during the year (info nights, etc) these are 'unofficial' and are not run by UWO faculty/staff.

Guest avisee

I take it for most schools, you have to wait until you visit for the interview (if you're so fortunate) to get the sort of "Open House" info session. That makes sense I guess, since you're more likely to find the info useful when you actually know your odds of being able to use it, but still -- I have a lot more free time this summer than I will if/when I attend any interviews, so it's nice to get a glimpse ahead of time..

I know U of T ran some sort of symposium in March or April, although it almost seemed targeted more towards high school and 1st-2nd year university students, though there were obviously some of us with more targeted questions, ready for this year's application. Does U of T also run any sort of info session for the more serious applicants who are closer to the application stage? Or is that symposium basically a catch-all aside from the Info session at the interviews?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

UofT's Human Biology Students' Union held an Ontario medical school symposium last February. This appears to be an annual initiative of the HBSU, so there will probably be another event scheduled this year. Given the relatively late date of the symposia, it won't help with the completion of this year's application, but it may help with the completion of following years' as well as spring interviews. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, technically it was supposed to be open to UofT students exclusively, but that policy didn't seem to be firmly enforced.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest CTU24

actually, i don't believe the HBSU med school symposium is limited to UT students.

true, it is advertised mainly at UT, but there is a fee of ~$5 to get in.

So, as long as you are willing to pay up and can find out the date, place, and time, you can go to it no matter your university affiliation.

as always, it's all 'bout the might dollar.

CTU24

Guest UofT Student

Hey CTU24,

I attended the HBSU's med symposium. The cost is only $2, not $5. :D

Also, I heard that the "UofT students only" rule is just an official regulation by the Faculty of Arts and Science, which requires all those who join the HBSU to attend the event have paid their incidental fees to the Faculty (i.e., they are UofT students). This is, I guess, why student numbers were recorded when we paid our membership fees.

Guest Elaine I

I'm not (and have never been) a U of T student. I went to the Symposium, and simply paid my $2 at the door to join the HBSU. I was never asked if I was a U of T student....

Elaine

Archived