Premed 101 Forums

OOP notification

thecoolest47

I got an interview as an OOP, I think it's more than GPA and MCAT since everyone is about the same...I think it's more your CV and Personal Statement that determines whether you get an interview

Yeah McGill is big on those aspects. I think they play an important part in whether you get an interview.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got an interview as an OOP, I think it's more than GPA and MCAT since everyone is about the same...I think it's more your CV and Personal Statement that determines whether you get an interview

yes, this is true. it's the whole picture (but the numbers probably need to be high as part of the picture...)

I agree entirely that it's the whole picture - but I feel like that's the case for most med schools in Canada. I understood high scores/grades as just getting your foot in the door - getting an actual interview (or getting into med, for that matter) seemed to be more about having strong ECs, work experience, being well rounded, and coming across as a decent, caring, capable person in your interview.

I'm definitely my own worst critic but I'll admit that with a fairly extensive background in brain injury rehab, years of work with disabled and/or developmentally challenged kids and young adults, work experience in France (i.e. I can speak French), and a whole host of other things including involvement in music, athletics, and the arts, I am a little surprised not to get interviewed. Obviously the selections committee has their reasons - it would be nice to get some feedback on my app, but I'm not sure McGill does this?

I know that med school apps are extremely competitive in Canada - I'm not particularly torn up about McGill, but it would be nice to have a better understanding of what I could change if I have to go through this whole process again. I will say that not having any publications was probably a big negative in my app - although if I do apply again, that will have changed, so maybe the outcome will be different.

In any case, congrats and good luck to those of you with interviews - and the same goes to the IPs who just submitted their applications!

I agree entirely that it's the whole picture - but I feel like that's the case for most med schools in Canada. I understood high scores/grades as just getting your foot in the door - getting an actual interview (or getting into med, for that matter) seemed to be more about having strong ECs, work experience, being well rounded, and coming across as a decent, caring, capable person in your interview.

I'm definitely my own worst critic but I'll admit that with a fairly extensive background in brain injury rehab, years of work with disabled and/or developmentally challenged kids and young adults, work experience in France (i.e. I can speak French), and a whole host of other things including involvement in music, athletics, and the arts, I am a little surprised not to get interviewed. Obviously the selections committee has their reasons - it would be nice to get some feedback on my app, but I'm not sure McGill does this?

I know that med school apps are extremely competitive in Canada - I'm not particularly torn up about McGill, but it would be nice to have a better understanding of what I could change if I have to go through this whole process again. I will say that not having any publications was probably a big negative in my app - although if I do apply again, that will have changed, so maybe the outcome will be different.

In any case, congrats and good luck to those of you with interviews - and the same goes to the IPs who just submitted their applications!

there is also a certain amount of randomness to the whole process. i think i got a mcgill invite, but no ubc invite. in my opinion, mcgill > ubc, but one may disagree.

I agree that the autobiographical letter/CV/ref letters must play a big role in McGill's selection as I recieved an offer for an interview as an OOP with a GPA of less than 3.9 and an MCAT score of 32. I thought it was a really long shot when I submitted my application but I'm glad I did!

Hahahaaha "Kilgore Trout." nice.

MMIs are more reliable (i.e. there's no "first impression", but multiple first impressions, so that you don't screw yourself over when you walk in and fall over the chair).... MMIs also closlely resemble OSCEs (Objective Standardized Clinical Examinations) which you have in med school. MMIs are more evidence-based while the traditional interview is...well...simply tradition!

seeing as how I just went through the M3I's (McGill's Multiple Mini Interviews) and the traditional interviews...I might have a few words to offer...

So I am an international candidate. As far as I know, only international and OOP applicants have to go through this interview process. Honestly, it was not bad at all. If anything it was just an insufferably long day. The worst part was listening to the presentations between the M3I's in the morning and the Traditionals in the afternoon.

M3I's --- You go to a simulation center with about 10 rooms, 2 of which are rest stations with water. Each room has a scenario on it, sometimes an ethical dilemma or random health care topic to discuss, other times a random situation with various components of comic relief if you take the time to relax and really think about what is going on. Seriously, I smiled, almost laughed, before walking into a couple of the rooms. In each room is an actor ready to draw you deep into the situation posted on the door. you have roughly ten minutes at each room before moving to the next.

Next you go to another building for the two traditional interviews. It seemed like the interviewers coordinated their efforts to ensure that they did not ask me the same questions. One grilled me on one side of my motivations for medicine, the other grilled me on the other side of the same area. But every question was entirely different, and both interviews also had a different feel. One was more of an interrogation to make sure I had thought things through, the other was more of an inquiry -- asking me to hand over the best reasons for me to be admitted.

And let me tell you - the traditional interviewers love answering questions. One simple question turned into a 10 minute diatribe on the possibilities at McGill.

Another thing to keep in mind - do not, DO NOT! let the interviewers' composure or responses affect your opinion on your performance. These people are trained to search for any reason to admit or not to admit, and then put on a poker face for the next 45 minutes after you might have said something wrong. I have NO idea where I stand, and you will not either.

Have fun. And seriously, the MMI's are SWEET! enjoy them and you will do much better than the other people that sweat over it for two weeks before they walk into that first room. In fact, the director of this pilot project (which counts this year in the admissions process equal to the traditional interviews) said first and foremost, "Be yourself, and you will do fine."

McGill really makes the day quite comfortable.

PS: I think I might be one of the millionth percentile of medical school applicants that is willing to admit any of this to anyone else. I'm pretty sure from what I discovered while failing miserably at interacting with the rest of the interviewees that few if any of them would be willing to offer this and lose any advantage over the others. If anything about the interview day was scary (it was my first ever interview) it was the other interviewees and how quiet, nervous, and disgusted they were when I tried to break the ice by talking about the previous night's Packers game. Apparently none can handle Wisconsin's love for Favre.

You actually tried to talk about a Packers game??!! AHAHAHA. That may be why people acted strange! We are in Montreal and the only sport people even mention is hockey. Read only the Habs games.

But I must admit at my interviews many people were like that too, and not when I talked about a sport team. It seems as though if you actually talk back to somebody, you may just forget all your well prepared and rehearsed answers...

Its really great that you share these tips with everyone! I am IP, so I won't be getting these, but the interview tips are great! Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this might be interesting info for us OOP people!

I called today because I didn't recieve an interview, so I figured I was rejected (this weekend WAS interview weekend). But the woman on the phone said there have been no final decisions, and once they evaluate the info from this weekend it's POSSIBLE they'll have another weekend of interviews!!

Just thought I'd share, there's still hope (possibly?) for those of us who didn't recieve OOP interviews!

Archived