Premed 101 Forums

High School %'s

Hi Guys,

I'm a Grade 12 student in Vancouver and I am interested in a career in medicine someday. Anyways, I was just wondering what your high school averages were (courses that were used to calculate university admission). Just curious, thanks!

This is probably an inaccurate way to gauge your "competitiveness" against other med school hopefuls, considering how drastically the GPAs of students can change along with the fact that most people entering university are selected and thus more academically inclined (I hope) than your average high school. I graduated with a 97% average in grade 12, but at the same time I know students in first year who failed in a course or two with similar previous averages.

This is probably an inaccurate way to gauge your "competitiveness" against other med school hopefuls, considering how drastically the GPAs of students can change along with the fact that most people entering university are selected and thus more academically inclined (I hope) than your average high school. I graduated with a 97% average in grade 12, but at the same time I know students in first year who failed in a course or two with similar previous averages.

Agreed. Provided you have grades that are good enough to make it into a university program, high school grades are irrelevant for your med application.

I think my high school grades were in the low 80's - a mix of A's and B's - they were good enough to get into Uvic - and then my first two years I had around a C+/B average - after that I picked things up - so high school/early University may not be the best indicator - I also have friends who were steller in high school and early University but fell apart in the end and ended up down different routes (Starbucks has a nice benefits package!).

I agree with all the posters, take it one year at a time, do something you enjoy, make sure you do well in your pre-req courses, definetly do xtracurrics you enjoy and don't waste your undergrad being stressed!

Guest iwannaplaylock
I think my high school grades were in the low 80's - a mix of A's and B's - they were good enough to get into Uvic - and then my first two years I had around a C+/B average - after that I picked things up - so high school/early University may not be the best indicator - I also have friends who were steller in high school and early University but fell apart in the end and ended up down different routes (Starbucks has a nice benefits package!).

I agree with all the posters, take it one year at a time, do something you enjoy, make sure you do well in your pre-req courses, definetly do xtracurrics you enjoy and don't waste your undergrad being stressed!

I worked really hard this term and managed to pull off an 90% academic average and just made the cutoffs for ubc sciences. But i am pretty scared hearing that people with above 95% averages get pretty crappy marks 1st year. Is getting good marks in university more about working hard constantly throughtout your degree or do you actually have to be naturally smart to do well? Also i don't consider myself really really book smart(but i anit stupid) but my peers/teachers tell me i have a different kind of smart...

Guest iwannaplaylock
It's just a lot different in university. What they ask of you is different. You're on your own. They don't care if you do you assignments or not.

Your marks may not drop at all first year, but they may. If you're used to working hard for your marks, you may do well. It's sometimes the ones who find it easy in high school that have a hard time their first year.

You don't have to be smart to do well, but you have to study, and review your work ALL THE TIME. Don't wait until mid-semester to start looking over your notes. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.

thats good because it will probably work to my advantage because since grd 8-11 i was a lazyass and just coasted and manged to always pull off straight b's but now i am pretty keen and plan on working my arse off during university while have good EC but also enjoying my time.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a BC high school student 4 years ago. My stats were:

Principle of Math 12: 98%

English 12: 89%

Chemistry 12: 96%

Biology 12: 95%

Physics 12: 67%

Law 12: 99%

Math 11: 100%

English 11: 86%

Chemistry 12: 100%

Biology 12: 97%