Premed 101 Forums

Premed courses at York University

Guest premeditated

Guest premeditated

Hello all ... long time lurker, first time poster 8o

I'm a Psychology undergrad at York University (B.A. Spec. Hon.). I'm wondering about what chem/bio/physics course I should take in order to best prepare for med school in Ontario. I'm looking at some of the intro physics/chem courses for next year (4 credit, 1 term: chem1500 and phys1510) and wondering if they might be too basic. How far should I run with bio/chem/phys before I can feel confident about having an appropriate knowledge base?

Can anyone offer any input on fulfilling bio/chem/physics requirements with York course offerings? Any experiences?

Many thanks!

Guest squeegy80

I say you shouldn't waste your time taking any additional courses other than the necessary prereqs for your med school of choice, so just find out what those are and go from there. I've heard that the short review period at the beginning of first year gets everyone on an even level fairly well, so don't waste you time on extra courses unless you have extra time.

This thought is not based on experience, however, so you might want to wait for other responses.

Hope this helped,

squeegy

Guest codloghorn

the courses you mentioned will not fulfill any prerequisites for medical school. they will prepare you for taking introductory chem/bio/physics courses. i disagree with squeegy. at york, there is hardly any review. you must take chem 1500 and/or physics 1500 in order to succeed.

Guest CareBear15

Ii'm a York science graduate and I've never heard of the chem/phys courses that have been mentioned so far. I think PHYS 1410 is the best course to go for physics, as it covers material for the MCAT and it can also be used as your third science course with lab for Western.

As for chemistry, there's CHEM 2020 which is organic with lab, which also works for the Western requirements. Of course the prerequisite courses for that are CHEM 1000 and 1001.

Good luck!

Guest peachy

Science Academic Services (they have a desk in the Computer Science & Engineering building) has a booklet with the prereqs for the five Ontario medical schools and a summary of how to fulfil them with York courses. The SOS will also be able to give you similar information.

Chem1500 and Phys1510 are (as far as I know, check with SAS to be sure) as others have said, basic courses. They are "OAC-equivalent" (or, I suppose "grade 12-equivalent" now), so if you did the grade 12/OAC versions of those courses, and got a decent grade, they will probably be too basic. But Science Academic Services is really the best place to ask about that!

Guest aneliz

If they are 'OAC equivalent' level courses they will NOT work for UWO pre-reqs... UWO requires you to take a UNIVERSITY level course in chem to qualify.

Guest premeditated

Thanks for all the input, and the links! Sweet, sweet links :)

I've lined up my schedule for the next few years to include BIOL2020/2021 Cell Biology and Biochemistry, CHEM2020 Organic Chemistry, and PHYS1500 Intro. Physics. That should suffice for science prerequisites, eh? All told, I'll have 130-some-odd credits under my belt upon graduation from a 5-year tour.

Perhaps better slated for a separate post, but I'll ask here anyways, is there any disadvantage to taking a year or two off after undergrad before applying to med school?

Archived