Premed 101 Forums

initial acceptances

Guest medschoolboy

Guest medschoolboy

since queens and western only give as many acceptances as seats available, what kind of movement is there usually before the june 2 deadline?

i'm afraid that i'll get waitlisted at my top choice and outright accepted at the other. and come the deadline, i'll be forced to give up my waitlist if there isn't enough movement at the top choice before june 2.

both schools ultimately accept about 2x their class. do most of these extra acceptaces outside of the initial ones come before june 2nd or after?

am i making sense?

Guest Steve U of T

There should be a great deal of waitlist movement on or after June 14. That is the deadline for a response to first round offers of admission. I think people with multiple acceptances must turn down all but one offer by that date, although they can keep waitlist positions until July 2.

Guest aneliz

You are correct, UWO only gives out as many acceptances as there are seats. There is really NO movement of the waiting list until about 10 days after the initial acceptances are sent out. At this point, some of the people that received multiple acceptances will have responded. (and if they got into their dream school - and their dream school isn't UWO :eek - then they will probably firmly accept their dream school and reject their UWO offer within the first 10-14 days). At this point the 'second wave' goes out. Again there will be quite a bit of movement....as this is happening at all schools, some people will get their 'dream' acceptance at this point and pull out of their 'conditional' UWO acceptance that they got first round...opening up another bunch of seats....

From what I have heard, unofficially, from UWO admissions, most of the wait-list movement is over by mid-July...so you probably have a good chance of coming off (if you are going to come off) before the firm acceptance date.

I totally understand where you are coming from though...I had exactly the same fears when I applied....(thought I was sure to be waitlisted at UWO and accepted at a certain other school....) Happily, I didn't have to deal with that problem! Have faith, maybe you won't have to face it either!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

from what I understand there is a 2nd round of acceptances sent out on june 14. Is this by email or snail mail, or does it differ for each school? After this offer is sent out, when do the 2nd round acceptances have to be accepted by? Is it 2 weeks later (around end of june)? Is there a biweekly jump throughout the summer?

Guest aneliz

The so-called 2nd round from UWO comes out by snail mail...and you will have 2 weeks from the day it is sent until you have to respond. This is the same, no matter when you get the acceptance...(May, June, Aug...it doesn't matter).

Later in the summer, when things are pretty much one seat here one seat there, they will start calling before they mail an acceptance...to see if the person still wants the spot...if they do, they get something in the mail...if they don't they move right on to the next person....As soon as they get news back that somehody is declining a seat, they will send out an offer to the next person on the list...so the later the summer gets, the less likely that things are going to come out in perfect every 2 week waves.

Guest aneliz

They will keep trying...and if they don't get an answer they will mail out the package anyway. If after two weeks of trying to phone and having mailed a package they still don't hear from you, they will move on. (The package will have an 'expiry date' on the offer after which it is void if you haven't responded).

Archived