Premed 101 Forums

grad package of research productivity

Hi,

Last year, they sent out grad packages after they sent out interview invites. I believe last year they did a rolling invite where batches of emails are sent out at a time. I received my graduate package invite after I got my rejection email letter (what a roller coaster that was!).

Hope this helps!

It's almost time...the anticipation is building once again!

Dr. E77

• 2 weeks later...
have any grad candidates received letters of invitation to send in proof of grad productivity yet?

I *just* recieved an email from Ottawa asking for a grad package. I have until Feb 15th to submit it.

The email also mentions at the end that the grad files will be reviewed the week after they're due, and that an email will then be sent regarding the final decision.

email will be sent regarding final decision - - you mean decision about whether you get an interview or not??

Does anyone know whether all grad applicants are reviewed as a pool, or do we mix in with the undergrad applicants too? I suppose all grad applicants have to (at some point) submit a package right?

Hi,

You received a request for your grad package? I thought they weren't sending invites until the 31st of January? Weird...

Good luck

Regards,

Dr. E77

Yep, I got it in my inbox probably about 10 mins ago. Thanks for the good luck wishes.

First few lines are:

"Thank you for your application for admission to our Faculty of Medicine at the University of Ottawa. The Admissions Committee will review 3,268 applications this year for the 152 positions available and will interview approximately 550 candidates.

Your file was carefully reviewed and we regret that you did not meet the standard for invitation for an interview on the basis of your undergraduate record.

However, the Faculty of Medicine uses a review policy for graduate students which allow us to consider your graduate studies. Your dossier is now being considered for the graduate review policy as you have met the prerequisites as outlined in the Graduate Review guidelines."

Thanks for sharing.

Actually I just read the "Graduate Review guidelines" and it says that if grad students successfully go through all stages of their selection (undergrad GPA and autobiographical sketch), then your application proceeds without having your grad productivity/work considered or reviewed by the committee.

That's great mcphrev. I haven't received any email yet, which sucks. I can only assume that the grad students they want grad packs from are ones they are considering for interviews (well at least the grad students who don't meet the undergrad cutoff and can't be considered in that stream). I don't meet the undergrad cutoff, so if I don't get this email, I figure I get no interview from Ottawa. Let's hope Toronto still considers me!

That's great mcphrev. I haven't received any email yet, which sucks. I can only assume that the grad students they want grad packs from are ones they are considering for interviews (well at least the grad students who don't meet the undergrad cutoff and can't be considered in that stream). I don't meet the undergrad cutoff, so if I don't get this email, I figure I get no interview from Ottawa. Let's hope Toronto still considers me!

Hi OneDay,

Yeah, it's possible that they sent packages to those they're considering, and there are threads from previous years that support this possibility (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19740).

However, it is also possible that they are sending emails out in the order that they're reviewing files - its hard to say for certain. One thing to keep in mind is that there are two cutoffs for recieving a grad package request - 85%+ average in your graduate level courses, and a 3.50 wGPA from undergrad.

Good luck in the process - hopefully the rest of you'll hear from Ottawa soon!

I'm a little confused.

I've read posts that said that you will be asked to submit a grad package if your wGPA OR your ABS doesn't make the cut. However, there was another who wrote that only if your wGPA is too low will you be asked to submit a grad package.

Which one is it?

I'm a little confused.

I've read posts that said that you will be asked to submit a grad package if your wGPA OR your ABS doesn't make the cut. However, there was another who wrote that only if your wGPA is too low will you be asked to submit a grad package.

Which one is it?

Sounds like its both according to the policies:

http://www.intermed.med.uottawa.ca/Students/MD/admissions/Legacy/eng/AdmissionPolicy.html

Note: wGPA cutoff is 3.50 (undergrad) and 85% in grad courses for graduate review policy.

"If the application does not advance to the interview based on the results of the detailed autobiographocal sketch assessment, the Graduate Review Policy will be applied, insofar as the following crtiteria are met."

"...since the spirit of the graduate review policy is to allow applicants who do not qualify on the basis of their undergraduate marks to demonstrate clearly and conclusively that their academic performance has improved."

so does it actually mean that for grad students who do meet all the requirements and will proceed to get an interview will NOT be contacted to request for a graduate package?

Conversely, if a grad students meets the requirements but cant get the interview, then ottawa will at that time request a package?

to sum it up..

all grad students will be given an interview if not contacted

AND

all grad students who were not offered interview would be contacted to request for a package and then decision will be made based on that particular pool.

??

I figure these are the possibilities for Grad students:

1) Grad student who didn't meet undergrad wGPA cutoff and/or ABS requirements --> but met undergrad wGPA of 3.50 and grad GPA of 4.0 = is considered under graduate review committee and are asked to submit a grad package, and then may or may not get interviews

2) Grad students meeting undergrad wGPA of 3.85 cutoff --> do not need to hand in grad package because they are being considered with the undergrad applicants and may/may not get interviews

3) Grad students not meeting the undergrad wGPA cutoff and do not get asked to submit a package --> likely not getting interviews.

Anyone else with any ideas about this?

wouldn't that be a little unfair?

For example a grad student who does not meet all requirements may still be considered for interview when competing against other grad students.

However, for a grad student who does meets all requirements but fail to get an interview, shouldn't he/she also be pooled into the 'grad review committee' too so at least he has a shot at competing with other grad students?

They should explain it a bit better in my opinion.

Actually I just found the answer to all problems!

---

If the undergraduate grades, once converted on the 4.00 scale meet the standard set for the current application pool, the application will advance to step 3 (Assessment of the detailed autobiographical sketch) in the selection process. If successful following the results of this assessment, the graduate candidate will be invited to an interview and the Graduate Review Policy will not be taken into account. If the application does not advance to the interview based on the results of the detailed autobiographical sketch assessment, the Graduate Review Policy will be applied, insofar as the following criteria are met.

---

so it's better not to receive anything than to receive something :)

I figure these are the possibilities for Grad students:

1) Grad student who didn't meet undergrad wGPA cutoff and/or ABS requirements --> but met undergrad wGPA of 3.50 and grad GPA of 4.0 = is considered under graduate review committee and are asked to submit a grad package, and then may or may not get interviews

2) Grad students meeting undergrad wGPA of 3.85 cutoff --> do not need to hand in grad package because they are being considered with the undergrad applicants and may/may not get interviews

3) Grad students not meeting the undergrad wGPA cutoff and do not get asked to submit a package --> likely not getting interviews.

Anyone else with any ideas about this?

i think you're right because mcpherv found that clause: "...since the spirit of the graduate review policy is to allow applicants who do not qualify on the basis of their undergraduate marks to demonstrate clearly and conclusively that their academic performance has improved."

Hey all,

Not receiving a grad package is actually quite good for a couple of reasons. 1) It means you are still being considered in the undergraduate pool thus not having to hand in a grad package, 2) Even if you don't make the gpa cutoff at the undergraduate or the ABS sketch stage, you will still have a chance with the graduate policy (provided that you make their cutoffs and you have enough graduate work) and 3) well it's more fun to wait...ok maybe not the last one...waiting sucks... but in any case it's awesome that you might potentially have two shots at getting an interview and getting in.... just a couple of thoughts..

Regards,

Dr. E77

Hi Tarzan,

I applied last year as a grad student. I got rejected initially...my sketch didn't make the cut however about a week later I got an invitation to submit a graduate package. So really if you're a grad student, you potentially have two chances to get an interview.

Regards,

Dr. E77

Hi Tarzan,

I applied last year as a grad student. I got rejected initially...my sketch didn't make the cut however about a week later I got an invitation to submit a graduate package. So really if you're a grad student, you potentially have two chances to get an interview.

Regards,

Dr. E77

yea that's definitely a big bonus for us grads! :)

Hi Tarzan,

Regards,

Dr. E77

sick. I feel slightly more motivated to do some work in the lab instead of checking this forum :cool:

Hi Tarzan,

Regards,

Dr. E77

were you going to finish grad school by their specified date? i finish in july/aug, so im thinking i wont be considered in the grad pool.

________

Think mill

Archived