Premed 101 Forums

Problems with medicine in Quebec

meshuga3

As part of my preparations for an upcoming interview at McGill, I'm doing my best to figure out what makes Quebec different from the rest of Canada- as far as the state of health care is concerned. So far, I've come up with a few general themes:

1. Privatization of listed services- adoption of limited two-tiered health care- makes Quebec unique in Canada.

2. Wait times, particularly in the ER, are quite bad- so bad that people close to Ontario routinely go to Ottawa to be seen.

3. Physician pay is the lowest in the country.

Can anyone comment on whether I'm close to the mark with these three comments? And, can anyone think of other reasons Quebec is unique? I think I've read something about a particularly acute shortage of family physicians as well.

I guess the general theme of this question is, I've been told that Quebec is a special case in Canadian health care, but I've been unable to find definitive reasons for why that is.

As part of my preparations for an upcoming interview at McGill, I'm doing my best to figure out what makes Quebec different from the rest of Canada- as far as the state of health care is concerned. So far, I've come up with a few general themes:

1. Privatization of listed services- adoption of limited two-tiered health care- makes Quebec unique in Canada.

2. Wait times, particularly in the ER, are quite bad- so bad that people close to Ontario routinely go to Ottawa to be seen.

Can anyone comment on whether I'm close to the mark with these three comments? And, can anyone think of other reasons Quebec is unique? I think I've read something about a particularly acute shortage of family physicians as well.

I guess the general theme of this question is, I've been told that Quebec is a special case in Canadian health care, but I've been unable to find definitive reasons for why that is.

I'm a patient from the MUHC (MGH and RV) and when I had an exacerbation or a complication the waiting time was close to absolute zero. It really depends on the case.

1) I have no relative or friend who has a FD. Everyone goes to ER.

2) Add IMG problem - the most acute in QC. For residency they prefer to go either to NS or ON (or the States)

3) Do not forget about the "most unionised" province and toughest restrictions in all North America

4) I am not sure about last, but I read that the percentage of medical errors is one of the highest in Canada (it is needed to be checked)

These are my two cents.

Oh, ya! Here are three French med schools! :P

The tuition fees are beyond lowest.

If last year was anything to go by, OOP invites should be going out very soon (within the week)

yeah i was expecting it to be by the 15th to give at least a month's notice (International invites seemed to go out about a month before their interviews). *crosses fingers for a very unlikely miracle*

Archived