Premed 101 Forums

When will Normed publish it's list of requirements

Guest gfunk

Guest gfunk

Hello,

I am new to this whole posting thing, but I would just like to ask if anyone knows when the Northern Ontario Medical School will post it's requirements in regards to 2003 entry. I don't know, but to admit students for fall entry, they should have at least posted some information on pre-requisites if any. As well, will it be like the Mac program? I don't know but a lot of the references they are using seem to refer to rural programs at other universities globally. This can be good and bad. I just hope that the standards will be the same as any other med school in Canada.

Thanks,

G

Guest aneliz

The latest article published in CMAJ this past week said that the Northern School will likely be delayed at least a year in opening(until Sept 2005 at the earliest). Given this delay, they won't start taking applications until fall 2004, and likely won't have their requirements up until early 2004 as my best guess...If they are an OMSAS school (as they likely will be) they will have the application details on the OMSAS site July of the year prior to the first class starting - likely July 2004.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest macdaddyeh

Hi everyone:

I just spoke with people at both OMSAS and NORMED and both seem to have come (loosely-speaking) to the conclusion stated above. That is, that things are *not* ready or on-track to have admissions requirements, school info etc published in the OMSAS on-line brochure within a month. Both offices advised me, however, that if that changes it will be announced before publication time on the respective websites.

Sorry; I know it hurts for those who have a love for or connection to the north:rolleyes

Guest Tanya24

Just to add to aneliz's comments, the NORMS has now officially announced it's intention to delay opening by one year; Sept. 2005. It made the front page of several Northern Ontario newspapers today.

Tanya.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lcloh

NEWS RELEASE

LAURENTIAN UNIVERSITY, LAKEHEAD UNIVERSITY

NORTHERN ONTARIO MEDICAL SCHOOL

June 4, 2003 printable version

September 2005 confirmed as first NOMS student intake

The Board of Directors of the Northern Ontario Medical School has approved the fall of 2005 as the intake date for the School’s first incoming, or “charter” class of undergraduate medical students.

The decision was made by the NOMS Board “to ensure that quality is not compromised by adhering to an unrealistic target date,” noted NOMS Founding Dean Dr. Roger Strasser. “At the same time, the Board recognized the tremendous number of milestones we’ve traversed over the past eights months,” continued Strasser, who took up his post full time last September.

Strasser’s comments and release of the Board’s decision came minutes before yet another NOMS milestone – the first meeting of the School’s new Academic Council. Comprised of faculty drawn from the medical education networks NOMEC and NOMP, as well as Lakehead and Laurentian, the Council will provide academic governance to NOMS, reporting to the Senates of both universities.

The decision to target 2005 for the charter class came following lengthy Board deliberation of a risk assessment report by NOMS Executive Director of Project Development Dr. David Boyle.

“Innovation takes time, and we are doing something very new and very exciting here at NOMS,” explained Boyle. “I think the people of Northern Ontario would rather see us take an extra year in the planning stages so that we can generate curriculum tailored to their needs, rather than risk not getting accreditation at all.”

Strasser also acknowledged the tremendous support the school has received from all its stakeholders, including the Ontario government, the federal government through FedNor, northern municipalities, physicians, First Nations, the Francophone community, NOMS’ parent universities Lakehead and Laurentian, the region’s hospitals, and the existing medical residency programs of NOMP (Northwestern Ontario Medical Program) and NOMEC (Northeastern Ontario Medical Education Corporation).

A new medical school for the whole of Northern Ontario, the Northern Ontario Medical School is a joint venture of Laurentian and Lakehead Universities. With main campuses in Sudbury and Thunder Bay, NOMS will have multiple teaching and research sites distributed across Northern Ontario, in large and small communities. NOMS will contribute to improving the health outcomes of Northern Ontario.

- 30 -

For more information:

Michael OReilly

Communications Officer NOMS-West

807-229-7746

Michael.OReilly@NorMed.ca

Mick Lowe

Communications Officer NOMS-East

705-969-7213

Mick.Lowe@NorMed.ca

Archived