Premed 101 Forums

The A vs. A+ ??

Me and a friend of mine were in a heated debate about this..well not really heated, let's say casual..but anyways she says U of A med doesn't look at the A's or A+'s, they just care that u got the 4.0, while I said they do make the distinction. She made herself sound pretty confident and I acted pretty confident, but honestly I think we were both all talk as we didnt base this on any research. We both got 4.0 semesters for Fall 07, but she had no A+'s and I had 4 of them..and an IP mark for Physl (full-term). So you can see why and where she's comin from. Question is..does anyone really know??

Thx!

There's a 99.99999999% chance that it is not going to matter.....I say that only because, after three years in medicine, I have learned never to say never. UofA will use your GPA (ie....the 4.0) and calculate your pre-req and overall scores, and then convert that to a score out of ? (it's been changed, and I've been out of the loop for 3 years now)......so no....it's not going to matter...I mean really...what is the difference between an A and an A+ (here's a guess....it does not = a better doctor).....

Congrat's though on the GPA...

Cheers

PMD

Hi there, I got into U of A meds last year (didn't end up going there though), but from the process last yr (dont know if its changed), and A and an A+ are both converted to a 4.0 so there is no difference between them. I believe they have a grading conversion scale lying around on their website. I can understand the frustration if you have a whole bunch of A+'s, but I think your already way ahead of the game so dont worry too much about it.

Good luck in the app process!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it matters for UofA. They don't analyze your transcript that closely..the main thing is the cGPA and prereq GPA. But other schools, like UofT will look more closely at your transcript. I personally think that a persons transcript after 4 years says a great deal about them, if you look into it and analyze the trends. I think it is more work though..I really like how UofT does applications in general though..they are so thorough and personal! Some might say this adds bias and inconsistency to the system, but it also adds diversity. Wow, this is totally off topic. At any rate, A+/A make no diff for UofA application, and I'm fairly certain of this, but its never a good idea to say never =)

Was told in an email from Alberta admissions that, they follow the following:

http://www.registrar.ualberta.ca/ro.cfm?id=183

A=A+=4.0

A-=3.7

B+=3.3

B=3.0

But at UWO, we get #s instead of letters and was told that specifically for UWO they convert it like this:

87-100 = A/A+ = 4.0

82 = A- = 3.7

78 = B+ = 3.3

75 = B = 3.0

71 = B- = 2.7

68 = C+ = 2.3

65 = C = 2.0

60 = C- = 1.7

• 4 weeks later...

Archived