Premed 101 Forums

Norther Med School Ontario

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

What happened to the Northern Ontario Med school?

I know it is going a head....but info has died off

Opening date?

Admission Req.?

I thought by now they would have some more concrete info.

Guest UOMeds05

My guess is that you will hear more as July 1 and OMSAS info for the 2004 application year is released. There is still a lot going on with the school and if you follow the Laurentian University website (http://www.laurentian.ca) or the NOMS website, you can find most of the answers to your questions. Not a lot of specificities have been released, but i was surprised to see really, how far ahead they actually are. the website is http://www.normed.ca

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Is it opening for Sept 2004?

All i really want to know is whether the admission willl be a cumulative GPA calc.(UofT, Mac) or a 2 or 3 yr weighting (Western, Queens, Ottawa)

Plus, will going there limit a student's residence possiblities....what happens if I want to do radiology...cardiology or some other specialty?

It appears to be primarily for rural med...and not for speciaities...I may be mistaken

Guest UOMeds05

I don't know about the GPA...

as for the rest of your questions i think we will really only know that when the first graduating class goes through CaRMS. I think that after this years CaRMS everyone questions the possibility of getting a residency position!

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

We all need to keep in mind that the Northern Medical School was conceived to address a specific problem, that being the lack of doctors in rural northern Ontario communities. For this reason, I would expect that selection of prospective students into this school would probably favour those with the intention of studying rural medicine and living in northern Ontario. I'm not sure what the prereqs and GPA for admittance will be (I wouldn't expect an MCAT component for the first few years anyway), but I could see them requiring an additional component for submission, in the form of an essay perhaps about why you want to go to NorMed instead of one of the other five Ontario schools. Therefore, I would expect NorMed and its curriculum to be geared towards producing northern Ontario practitioners. It only makes sense.

Bear in mind that this is not based on anything, and it is purely my own speculation. It will be possible, like all other Canadian medical schools, to gain entry into residency programs such as cardiology, etc. by attending NorMed, but if you are applying there with the intention of going elsewhere to practice, then it could potentially work to your disadvantage. Just some points to keep in mind.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived