Premed 101 Forums

Interview, but I want to know my score.

I called UBC and they told me that they only give out your score breakdown if you are not admitted into their program. In the case you do not receive an interview, they give you that info then. After the interview, you will only receive your score breakdown if you are not admitted into the program. So, it is way better not to know your score.

Yes, if you are rejected pre-interview you get a single sheet with your AQ and NAQ scores, and if you are rejected post-interview - you get a bunch of sheets that breaks down your AQ and your NAQ and your interview score into each section - it's really helpful for the next application. If you get in you will never know how you did.

How does it work if you are waitlisted? Do you still get a sheet with the breakdown of your score.

Also, if you are OOP, there are only 40 interviews, do the remaining 30 automatically go on the OOP waitlist, or are some flat out rejected?

The post-interview score breakdown has always been a mystery - some have guessed that the interview is worth 50%, and AQ and NAQ split between the rest. However, I remember when I had a meeting with one of the advisors she pulled out a sheet that had the post-interview breakdown (something she wasn't supposed to do) and I had a glimps of it (she pulled it away after I saw it for a few seconds) but all I could remember was that the MCAT was worth 3%, and the AQ was worth more than I had expected post-interview (maybe 40%), and the NAQ was worth less because the interview was somewhat tied into that score (say 20%, and interview 40%) - I hadn't applied yet when I saw it, so I didn't think it was a big deal and I thought would see it again so didn't think to memorize it much. Now you ask them the breakdown and they refuse to answer.

The impression I came away was with - do really well in the interview and anything can happen. The MCAT is not a huge deal (as my friend who got in to UBC with a 22P - the same score after writting it twice!) if you can make it up in your academics (which will always be important).

• 2 weeks later...

My experience with score sheets and advisors tells me NAQ is worth 25, AQ is worth 25 and your interview scores are worth 50 (based on average scores /10 from what used to be your 3 member panel, in 5 categories). Interview scores, just like the others, are scaled so that all panels are brought to a common average. I think it is the how your AQ scores are calculated that changes pre- and post-interview.

Your overall score /100 basically decides where in the queue your file will be presented to the final selection committee (higher overall score = earlier in queue = first access to open spots = higher chance of getting first site choice). Apparently, selection committee does not rely so much on absolute scores but rather on the big picture of all the things in your application. This is where unique achievements and "well-roundedness" can make a difference.

Your interview panel would also attach a "recommendation" score /10 to your file. No matter how stellar your application is, that number can no so much make as break your application during final selection. Same goes with conflicting reference letters.

Having said all that, I am still a firm believer in the theory where all the applicant's pictures are pasted on the wall and they just throw darts...

what do you mean by the AQ being calculated differently pre and post interview? Thanks!!

I don't remember exactly what they did but I think your pre-interview AQ is your Last 60 Credit GPA + your Overall GPA. After the interview it was all three -- Last 60, Overall and Pre-requisite course GPA.

I may have mixed them up a little but you get the idea...

LOL...!!! That is HILARIOUS!! I whole-heartedly agree..:P

I admit though, I must be quite the process to go through 600 odd applicants and choose less than half. With everything that we do in school though, we have to fill out evaluation after evaluation after evaluation. I often think Admissions should start taking more time to have applicants do the same and address some of the deficiencies we see from our perspective.

Archived