Premed 101 Forums

senior level courses

From September, 2007:

Hello,

I am applying to UWO this fall for conditional acceptance. I graduated in 06 and am currently working on my "special year." This summer, I was browsing UWO's site and recall seeing that if one is doing a special year after graduation, one must have 8 300+ level courses and no more than 2 200-level courses. However, students at UWO could use 200-level courses instead of 300.

Now I'm talking to friends who have contacted UWO regarding course level requirements, and apparently both have heard back that 200-level courses were sufficient for a year to be considered "senior," even for undergrads other than UWO. I'm pretty confused right now as to whether this is the case for a "special year," too, and I'm hoping that you can clarify this for me, so that I know which classes to register for next semester.

Their response:

The requirements for the 'special year' are slightly different than the requirements for other years. On our website it states:

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. (Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff.) Special years will only be considered if they contain five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) with a minimum of four full or equivalent courses at the honors level (which at Western are numbered 200 or higher). Honors level courses at Western numbered 200 are equivalent to third year courses at all other universities. First year courses are not acceptable in the "special year".

I hope this clarifies it for you.

While I was discussing the special year with her, she does say that 200 at UWO is 300 elsewhere.

I gave them the exact courses I took (i.e. how many of first year, second year, third year~ I took mostly second year courses during second year) during my second year and they said it was fine and that if I had 3.7 in each of those years, I would be fine.

Now for a special year, maybe it's different? Not sure.

I believe there is a difference for normal years vs special years. In your special year, senior level courses are 200 at UWO and 300+ at all universities. For normal years 200+ at any school suffice as senior years.

I too gave them my scenario and they were fine with it. My first year was all 100 courses and my second year was all 200 level courses. These are my two best-years and I asked if my second year meets the senior level requirement and they said it did.

I believe there is a difference for normal years vs special years. In your special year, senior level courses are 200 at UWO and 300+ at all universities. For normal years 200+ at any school suffice as senior years.

I too gave them my scenario and they were fine with it. My first year was all 100 courses and my second year was all 200 level courses. These are my two best-years and I asked if my second year meets the senior level requirement and they said it did.

it doesn't even need to be all2nd year and above... only 3/5 have to be second and above.

Archived