Premed 101 Forums

Organic Chem @ UBC

Hi, I'm in first year and I'm wondering what people have heard to be the major differences between the Chem 205/233/235 and Chem 203/204 combinations.

1) Does 203/204 better prep you for the MCAT or does it just have extraneous orgo you wouldn't need?

2) Also, for those who took Chem 233 in the summer, was it hard to remember the orgo material when writing the MCAT a year later?

3) For non-UBC med schools, was there ever a problem with 205/233/235 not being a "full year" of organic chem with lab? Especially since Chem 205 is actually a 'physical chemistry' course?

I'm asking because I'm debating whether to go into a life science like Pharmacology (with 205/233/235), or Biochemistry (which allows me to take 203/204).

Thanks so much!

1- MCAT Orgo is basic and regardless of which course you take you will be fine.

2- I took Orgo years before writing the MCAT and it comes back so regardless when you take it you should be fine.

3- Here was the problem, I found that 233/235/205 was not a good combination for a lot of schools and I found that I was lucky to have taken an extra organic chem class previously in CEGEP before university. I would say that if you are really thinking about other schools I would take 203/204...BUT check with others as I have friends who have gotten into Queens Med from UBC thus I'm assuming they took 205/233/235.

Basically, email them and check. It can;t hurt and then you will know for sure. Save the email, so if they try to screw you over later you can tell them that they were the ones that said it would be fine.

Hi, I'm in first year and I'm wondering what people have heard to be the major differences between the Chem 205/233/235 and Chem 203/204 combinations.

1) Does 203/204 better prep you for the MCAT or does it just have extraneous orgo you wouldn't need?

2) Also, for those who took Chem 233 in the summer, was it hard to remember the orgo material when writing the MCAT a year later?

3) For non-UBC med schools, was there ever a problem with 205/233/235 not being a "full year" of organic chem with lab? Especially since Chem 205 is actually a 'physical chemistry' course?

I'm asking because I'm debating whether to go into a life science like Pharmacology (with 205/233/235), or Biochemistry (which allows me to take 203/204).

Thanks so much!

Archived