Premed 101 Forums

After receiving a 0.857/6 on Service Ethic I would kinda like to know what it was based on...any ideas? any ideas how i could have been marked so poorly?

[[/i]

I believe it has something to do with the volunteer activities and what these activities entail. Perhaps something that demonstrates service to humanity (i.e. work in a orphanage)...but I am only speculating...If it makes you feel better I got only 0.5 on excellence in a human endeavor (or what ever that section is called)

Guest 02'topaz
[[/i]

I believe it has something to do with the volunteer activities and what these activities entail. Perhaps something that demonstrates service to humanity (i.e. work in a orphanage)...but I am only speculating...If it makes you feel better I got only 0.5 on excellence in a human endeavor (or what ever that section is called)

As bad as it sounds. 0.5 in that section is not THAT bad :). This is traditionally the hardest section to score points in and a majority of applicants score 0. To be fair though, I read your experiences in the other thread and am still shocked as to how you were not offered an interview.

With the service ethic they are going to look at your volunteer experiences and see who you worked with and how committed you were to that activity. During my feedback sessions they seemed to like it when you worked with people you may not be comfortable with. If all you volunteered with are school clubs and with other students, or if all your volunteer work was with your church, or church like activities, you need to step out so you don't look one-dimensional.

They like to see activities like those above, mixed with others that may sound like this:

"coached an inner-city junior high basketball team...."

"Tutor marginalized First Nations children at an after-school program....."

"Cared for migrant workers at a clinic in Mexico...."

"Served the eldery in a palliative care unit...."

"Lead a group with Habitat for Humanity...."

And they like to see that you are committed to an activity - don't do a ton of one-time things - make sure you spend years at a certain activity (this is more for those who are a couple of years off of applying) - and if you are re-applying, stick with what you are doing and add to it.

It can be so frustrating because it is so subjective - but if you stack your application so full, and word things just right (use those key words and sentences that make sure they don't miss in your application what they think is important!) you increase your chances of that subjectivity going your way.

And they like to see that you are committed to an activity - don't do a ton of one-time things - make sure you spend years at a certain activity (this is more for those who are a couple of years off of applying) - and if you are re-applying, stick with what you are doing and add to it.

I think this is probably a big one - I don't think I've done a ton of volunteering outside of my comfort zone, but I definitely have a lot of experiences that I've spent considerable time doing. I managed to get a 4.285 on service ethic.

it's actually almost hilarious how ubc quantifies extracurricular activities and personal attributes. there IS a reason why no other school does it this way...

but i really enjoyed reading the applicant file evaluation summary. i'm not even being sarcastic - it was a really interesting document to read, and i think the ONLY rejection letter i will ever treasure.

it's actually almost hilarious how ubc quantifies extracurricular activities and personal attributes. there IS a reason why no other school does it this way...

but i really enjoyed reading the applicant file evaluation summary. i'm not even being sarcastic - it was a really interesting document to read, and i think the ONLY rejection letter i will ever treasure.

How DO other schools quantify EC's? As far as I know, neither Calgary, Toronto, or Ottawa actually reveals how they do it to the level of detail that UBC does...

there is probably a general rubric that they use to look at qualities. (like community service: highly undesirable, undesirable, mediocre, desirable, highly desirable). there's nothing wrong with trying to rank quality of EC's, and i'm sure to some extent all schools do it, but it's just funny that UBC brings it to the next level (to the thousandth, to be precise).

i totally agree with you :) maybe my brain is foggy from the flood of rejections, but i had a laugh at the three places after decimal point insanity!

also, do they always have a "record" number of applications, or is that new this year? just wondering. if this is indeed the case, kudos to everyone who got an interview!

all of the decimals were divisions of 7 I think, so when they scored people, they probably ranked them on a scale of 1 to 7 (or whatever the magic number was) and converted that to a scale of 1 to 6, and thats how they got all the decimals. Everyone has the same decimals at the end for the same score (one person won't get 4.563 and another get 4.678)

Archived