Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites out!

Hi,

I'm totally disappointed too. I have my masters, 2 papers under my belt, massive clinical experience (volunteering with Dr.s), clinical research on recently approved FDA drug, hospital volunteering for 3 years, lots of EC's including teaching kids, boxing, martial arts! Sucky part is I interviewed 2 yrs ago and was good waitlisted...this system is flawed! I'm sure this is my last time applying. After 4 times trying I'm thinking of starting a Phd instead. Oh well... Good luck to those who got interviews

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. E77

Thats crazy ... what wwas your GPA?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want to say that I understand how everyone feels who got rejected b/c i got rejected last year and it was brutal. I got the rejection after barely meeting cutoff... I think I had like 3.84 wgpa and they said it was my ABS. I applied this year again. My wgpa is really high now but my ABS was pretty much the same - just 1 additional year of volunteering & 1 more published paper and the fact I am now in Master's. I got an interview. I think the system is weird and the ABS stuff is weirder.

Thank you for you input Calgarymed. Yes, I have no doubt the people in medical schools are hard workers who deserve to be there. But there is also strong evidence that many applicants who are hard workers and deserve to be there are not there. It seems like so many people apply, the selection is becoming random. I just don't see the evidence besides this, from what I have personally seen as to 2 people who got invites compared to those who didn't. Its good to be on the other side, if I was I would definitely be all smiles right now, but on this side its dark...

Such is the case when there are overwhelming amounts of qualified applicants who apply for so few spots.

Hey,

I feel bad for you Dr. E77. I thought I had it in bad (and it feels that way now), but I feel worse for you. Man, your story proves the SYSTEM IS FLAWED. How can you possibly have gotten an interview 2 years ago, and not one this year with much more on your resume? I know the applicant pool varies year to year, but come on, thats just ludicrous. The thing that gets me is each time someone applies to these schools the schools make $, and we are paying to get back bad news that does not seem to have any basis to it, so we are paying pretty much for random selection. Might as well draw names out of a hat. I am trying to keep my cool, but your story and 2 people I know who got interviews at Ottawa seem to suggest their is no reasoning to their selection.

I feel like I wasted my$. I have to stay positive, but its pretty hard right now, and of course Ottawa protects itself in one way or another, "we are unable to offer information..." bla bla bla bla bla thanks for taking my $ and kicking me in the ass while your at it

trying to stay positive!!!!!!!!!! eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yes, good luck to everyone who got interviews, since luck seems to be everything these days!

slowly_but_surely,

Please do not give up. I've read some of the posts you've put up, and I can not beleive the tremendous amount of agony you must be in losing your father recently and going through this process. Alot of the schools are fair, but there is alot of crap (mind the language) involved too. I've seen people get accepted over others for the stupidest things, not related to the practise of medicine. You may have come across a serious of trials at this point, but don't let it put you down. And don't listen to the people on this post who tell you the whole process is fair, the truth is there is alot of crap too. You just have to keep going and eventually you'll be on the winning side. I beleive you can do it.

Rejected... 3.84 Ottawa wGPA (the Ottawa weighting hurts me more than any other!). I'm a grad student, but my 3.85 grad GPA wasn't good enough for further consideration. At least there are (hopefully?) other schools!

I thought that 3.85 grad WAS good enough for further consideration...

man ottawa is messed

Thats crazy ... what wwas your GPA?

Hi Vallinar,

My Gpa was nothing to special (3.75 wgpa) however I did make the gpa cutoffs for IP (ottawa region). So really it doesn't make sense at this point that my ABS didn't make the cut especially since my sketch has drastically changed for the better since I interviewed 2 years ago. So there you have it, with a doctor shortage upon us, the Canadian Medical profession has yet lost another stellar applicant. Nothing more to say but I wish you all pre-meders luck on your interviews. Enjoy it. If I can offer some advice for the interview, be yourself and let your potential in being the BEST D*MN doctor shine through.

Kindest regards

Dr. E77

also to dr. E7, won't the grad review help you?

Hmm I'm not sure booboo. Last year they applied the grad policy on me after I was rejected initially however, my grad productivity is still the same (2 papers) so I don't see how the outcome would change either. But who knows maybe since the "variation" in grad applicant pool changes year to year as well, there will be an act God and I'll get a graduate package and finally an interview. But in any case, I won't hold my breath.

On a side note but equally as depressing, I got my mac rejection as well on the same day as Ottawa's (after interviewing last year at Mac...WAIT don't get me started on McMaster's system...) What a turbulent and life altering couple days this has been.

Wishing you all well and kindest regards,

Dr. E77

Dr. E77 you can't give up!

:(

Hey TurkeyLocoGuacamole (Had a good chuckle with that nickname),

Thank you for your sentiments, however I'm at a point right now where I have to start a career. I feel that being stuck in the pre-med limbo (waiting for the next cycle of applications) would cause me to be bitter about the whole system and worse of all those people around me. So on that note, I'm not giving up per se however I am exploring other opportunities that are before me and fully explore them until I re-think of applying again. I once read that insanity can be defined as repeating the same actions over and over knowing that the outcome will be the same; kinda like banging your head against a brick wall. Well after banging my head for four years, I've had enough. The system will always produce excellent docotors I don't doubt that. However on a sad note, it will continue in doing at what they do best, turn away stellar applicants whose yearning to help others will never be acknowledged.

Good luck to all!

Kindest regards,

Dr. E77

posted elsewhere...

Hi Meridith,

Yes I have thought about it. However my MCAT scores were nothing special 9,10,10 WS: R but unfortunately they are over 3 years old. I would have to re-write them this summer. But to be honest with you with my current motivation at the moment, the MCAT's are the last thing on my mind.

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

Hi Meridith,

Yes I have thought about it. However my MCAT scores were nothing special 9,10,10 WS: R but unfortunately they are over 3 years old. I would have to re-write them this summer. But to be honest with you with my current motivation at the moment, the MCAT's are the last thing on my mind.

Thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

did you apply to queens?

That really sucks man.. i don't see how you didn't get an invite.. maybe UofO does prefer grad applicants? You still have a shot at UofT if you applied there.

did you apply to queens?

That really sucks man.. i don't see how you didn't get an invite.. maybe UofO does prefer grad applicants? You still have a shot at UofT if you applied there.

No I didn't unfortunately. I am a grad student (was a grad student received my Masters this last year) however. I'll re-think it this summer and we'll see.

Kind regards,

Dr. E77

I thought that 3.85 grad WAS good enough for further consideration...

man ottawa is messed

Yeah, I guess "85% average" means straight As. I'm a little disappointed since the rest of my grad portfolio is very strong, and my grad grades put me at the top of my class... Arg!

Hi, I'm currently in 3rd Pre-med right now and applied after my second year

I had an excellent wGPA calculated for my first 2 years in undergrad = 3.92

However, they said that my autobio sketch was insuffecient.

I know someone applying after their 3rd year last year and had worse EC than me.

I have international volunteering in 2 different countries and lots of volunteering and activities otherwise.

Did applying only after 2 years have an effect on me not getting an interview.

My mcat didnt go so well, but I got an interview in Mcmaster luckily. Hoping that all goes well their. Wish everyone good luck for the interview. I feel reallly badly for dr. e77

it really doesnt seem fair

I know someone applying after their 3rd year last year and had worse EC than me.

I have international volunteering in 2 different countries and lots of volunteering and activities otherwise.

My mcat didnt go so well, but I got an interview in Mcmaster luckily. Hoping that all goes well their. Wish everyone good luck for the interview. I feel reallly badly for dr. e77

I Applied last year as a 3rd year student and I was rejected pre-interview. So applying only after 2 years have an huge effect in uottawa!

Good luck in Mcmaster!

Applying after 2 years does not have an effect on getting an interview.

Your EC wasn't good enough.

Perhaps you didn't have lady luck by yourself when they were looking at your file.

I'm starting to think mere quantity in volunteering and EC is insufficient for interviews. They need to see that you really are a genuine good human being, not to say that you aren't... but they just didn't see it from your detailed sketch...

Archived