Premed 101 Forums

Interview invites out!

Hi,

I'm totally disappointed too. I have my masters, 2 papers under my belt, massive clinical experience (volunteering with Dr.s), clinical research on recently approved FDA drug, hospital volunteering for 3 years, lots of EC's including teaching kids, boxing, martial arts! Sucky part is I interviewed 2 yrs ago and was good waitlisted...this system is flawed! I'm sure this is my last time applying. After 4 times trying I'm thinking of starting a Phd instead. Oh well... Good luck to those who got interviews

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. E77

Hey Dr.E77!

When I got my first rejection it was like someone put their hand on my shoulder, looked deep into my eyes and said: "I am sorry but you just don't got it kid." Yeah, it is your typical bad news scenario...Just punts you into a spiral of depression. [/sympathy ]

By looking at your cv (eloquently summarized in that post), I think you are a great person! You are an accomplished researcher (2 pubs!!!!) who not only worked in a lab, but expanded his (I am assuming you are a he :P ) experience beyond the lab and into the clinical world. Your 3 years of volunteering shows dedication. 'Lots of ECs' sounds like something you really don't care about (once again, generalization based on how you describe things-> "drug approved by FDA" (not just any drug!!!!) and on the other hand, 'rando ECs'). In my opinion it is those ECs that will be most informative of your personality, drive and motives. If you feel like it, share them with us... Even though the project you worked on is very important and likely difficult, it does not say much about you!!! I think MOST premeds have trouble avoiding glorification of the activities/projects/jobs they had (not saying you in particular). Very bad!

Your hospital volunteering shows that you really care about the wellbeing of citizens in our community. Ok!

Now the image I get from "including teaching kids, boxing, martial arts" is quite humorous! I perceive you with Chuck Norris hair and stache, surrounded by little grade 1s, looking at you with their big shiny eyes (jaws slightly dropped), as your voice round-house kicks the classroom air: "We do not read books. No. We stare at the books until they give us the information we need. Now practice with me!" :D

On a side note, I see you are rather athletic. However, the types of sport you pursue seem to be individual type activities. Not saying that team vs. individual sport is better for preparing you for a career in medicine, but it would be definitely a plus to YOUR application. The leadership aspect of sport is really not necessary to highlight your leadership ability, as the little kiddies know it and hopefully the adcom. It is just that "Plays well with others" bumper sticker that they tack on your application when they see continual involvement in a team sport.

Please don't take anything I wrote to be mocking, condescending, arrogant, evil, and [other nefarious words]. I really feel your pain, and I would be proud to have a colleague like you in the future!

Cheers!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dr E77, not that it will make you feel any better. But if I don't make it in this year... I'm in the same situation as you (well minus the boxing ;))... and it's pretty damn scary. (No offence whatsoever). I NEED this... and it HAS to be this time around.

Guys, if you think you have stellar applications and you didnt get in, dont lose hope. I know it's hard, especially after 4 years (hell this is my 2nd and I'm considering my options in the Military or CSIS... I want to get on with my life... not stuck in limbo). But I'll still probably re-apply.

Anyway, consider the possibility that the people that you think have lesser ABSs just know how to present their ABSs better on paper. It's not just a numbers game where if you filled the 49 spots, you're a shoe-in compared to people who filled in less. The ABS is more of an impressions game with the space you're given to elaborate on what you actually did, and why it makes you THE PERFECT medical school candidate. I know the space is small, but that makes it all the more important to get every detail in there that will make them think you're the one.

Hey Dr.E77!

When I got my first rejection it was like someone put their hand on my shoulder, looked deep into my eyes and said: "I am sorry but you just don't got it kid." Yeah, it is your typical bad news scenario...Just punts you into a spiral of depression. [/sympathy ]

By looking at your cv (eloquently summarized in that post), I think you are a great person! You are an accomplished researcher (2 pubs!!!!) who not only worked in a lab, but expanded his (I am assuming you are a he :P ) experience beyond the lab and into the clinical world. Your 3 years of volunteering shows dedication. 'Lots of ECs' sounds like something you really don't care about (once again, generalization based on how you describe things-> "drug approved by FDA" (not just any drug!!!!) and on the other hand, 'rando ECs'). In my opinion it is those ECs that will be most informative of your personality, drive and motives. If you feel like it, share them with us... Even though the project you worked on is very important and likely difficult, it does not say much about you!!! I think MOST premeds have trouble avoiding glorification of the activities/projects/jobs they had (not saying you in particular). Very bad!

Your hospital volunteering shows that you really care about the wellbeing of citizens in our community. Ok!

Now the image I get from "including teaching kids, boxing, martial arts" is quite humorous! I perceive you with Chuck Norris hair and stache, surrounded by little grade 1s, looking at you with their big shiny eyes (jaws slightly dropped), as your voice round-house kicks the classroom air: "We do not read books. No. We stare at the books until they give us the information we need. Now practice with me!" :D

On a side note, I see you are rather athletic. However, the types of sport you pursue seem to be individual type activities. Not saying that team vs. individual sport is better for preparing you for a career in medicine, but it would be definitely a plus to YOUR application. The leadership aspect of sport is really not necessary to highlight your leadership ability, as the little kiddies know it and hopefully the adcom. It is just that "Plays well with others" bumper sticker that they tack on your application when they see continual involvement in a team sport.

Please don't take anything I wrote to be mocking, condescending, arrogant, evil, and [other nefarious words]. I really feel your pain, and I would be proud to have a colleague like you in the future!

Cheers!

Hi Cling,

Thank you for your kind sentiments. Chuck norris eh? Haha That really made me smile. I will take all your suggestions and incorporate them into my application when I decide to re-apply again. However I feel that at this point, I need to explore other options that are out there outside of medicine. Perhaps once I have time to exhale, clear out the cobwebs then I will re-capture the passion I once had for medicine. It may sound weird but I don't see at a failure but simply the universe/God/higher power (whatever you may believe) that perhaps being a physician is not where I'm suppose to be. Though that door might closed, I'm sure others will open. By the way I've recently acquired a supervisor for my PhD. I will be working on (hopefully) developping treatments and prevention programs for TIA's/diabetes and Cystic fibrosis. So in time I will be working with you folks in a different manner. So Cling, I too am honoured to be your colleague in the future in the front lines of our health care system.

Kindest regards,

Dr. E77

Archived