Premed 101 Forums

what to apply to

valoupp

hey guys!

i am currently filling out applications to universities for pre med and i was wondering if i have a chance of getting in mcgill pre emd with a crc in very low 33 and if pre med doesnt' work out what is the best option in bachelors of science, to take in order to reapply with an undergraduate degree.

hey guys!

i am currently filling out applications to universities for pre med and i was wondering if i have a chance of getting in mcgill pre emd with a crc in very low 33 and if pre med doesnt' work out what is the best option in bachelors of science, to take in order to reapply with an undergraduate degree.

it doesn't really matter. study whatever interests you seriously!

oh, people tend to do well in anatomy haha

I hate to break it to you, but McGill was really strict last year with the 34 CRC. My sister had a 33.9 something and she didn't even get an interview.

As for a bachelors, it really doesn't matter what you do, although I do not suggest that you go for anything "contingente" ie Micro. The program is rough and while it may be more difficult to get in, this will not affect how the admissions committee will look at your file. You will not be advantaged by a harder undergrad. Also, keep in mind that if you don't like what you are studying, it will be much harder to do well. All premedical bachelors at McGill are hard, but some offer more flexibility with the program and hence you can take courses that really interest you and therefore do better.

Also, at McGill, if you start a program such as Dentistry or OT or PT, you will not be able to drop out and register for Med. They are really strict with this because everybody was starting out in Ot, then went to PT, then maybe through dentistry to end up in Med, and so there was nobody left in OT/PT and Dentistry had to continually take transfer students. Also, I have friends who tried this route at other universities, and I am now graduating with a BSC and hence can apply to any university that I want. They, on the other do not have a diploma and hence have almost no shot at gaining entry into Med at any university.

These are the basic tricks of the trade that you need to know before you apply and I really hope these help! PM me if you have more specific concerns.

Mikkey

• 1 month later...
I hate to break it to you, but McGill was really strict last year with the 34 CRC. My sister had a 33.9 something and she didn't even get an interview.

So you mean the Exact CRC cutoff last years (07) was 34.000000 ?

Thanks

The exact wasn't 34.000000000000000000000000 but if you don't have 34, you will not get an interview. They won't even look at your file unless you have that magic number. Same for undergrads: you need 3.5 and a 30 MCAT at least. Under that, they don't look at your file unless your father happens to hava given millions of dollars to McGill.

The exact wasn't 34.000000000000000000000000 but if you don't have 34, you will not get an interview. They won't even look at your file unless you have that magic number. Same for undergrads: you need 3.5 and a 30 MCAT at least. Under that, they don't look at your file unless your father happens to hava given millions of dollars to McGill.

The 3.5 and 30 are not set in stone. People have gotten in with numbers below those.

Just wanted to clarify.

The 3.5 and 30 are not set in stone. People have gotten in with numbers below those.

Just wanted to clarify.

The same is true for pre-med. People with a CRC below 34 have gotten interviewed and been accepted.

The exact wasn't 34.000000000000000000000000 but if you don't have 34, you will not get an interview. They won't even look at your file unless you have that magic number.

Ya, ya, I know

Sorry for the word "cutoff" I just meant the lowest condition (but not sufficient condition) to get an interview.

Bunny,

Do u personally kknow anybody who got in with BOTH a gpa below 3.5 and an mcat below 30?

I know someone with a 3.4 something and a 29 MCAT who got an interview. However, if you calculate the probability of this event, I must admit that it hovers at about 0.05%. Nothing is ever impossible, but to me, that probability really rounds up to 0.

Bunny,

Do u personally kknow anybody who got in with BOTH a gpa below 3.5 and an mcat below 30?

YES, I do know a few such people. I'm not too sure how premed works, but McGill is actually NOT very strict about their undergrad cutoffs. They look at the overall application and give you an interview on that basis. So if you're below cutoff but close enough to it, you should apply. You might get an interview and perhaps even be accepted.

If you wanna do undergrad, do it in anatomy or physiology. Anatomy is easier and more fun, but physio may give you a better sense of what medicine is like, so you'll be more intellectually prepared once you get in. If you're a keener microbio is good, too. In fact, microbio folks tend to end up with better marks and higher chance of admission than physio.

I know someone with a 3.4 something and a 29 MCAT who got an interview. However, if you calculate the probability of this event, I must admit that it hovers at about 0.05%. Nothing is ever ighimpossible, but to me, that probability really rounds up to 0.

ok, so they got an interview, but did they get in. that is the real question!

the way i see it, is that if u get an interview with extemely low stats, ur interview will have to be flawless. and furthermore, even if u get 100% ON UR INTERVIEW, when they tally up the scores u STILL may not be high enough!

Archived