Premed 101 Forums

UWO interview type

In the confirmation email it says that it will be 3:1 and also, I think they know nothing about your application this year. In the email it states

"The interviewers know nothing about you other than that you are competitive for admission"

But ive heard in the past, they have your small essay you had to write, and may ask you questions on that...so perhaps its not totally a closed file interview

Last year, the interviewers had the essay available.

Unless it's changed, it should be a potentially awkward and unnatural 3:1 panel interview where they have a fixed set of questions to ask you, including a possible role playing scenario.

By what I get from your statement, the interview would not be awkward with the essay present. When they asked me "in what ways are your prepared for self directed learning" and the interview should be interesting then....I'm in trouble. I'm sure they will ask stuff about the essay, but I don't see thats where the "casual conversation" and "interesting" questions will come from but rather when they say "Tell me about yourself" and then they roll off your answers and then you talk about something you and they find in common and talk about it.

I write a lot of and, then, you, like, excuse me.

By what I get from your statement, the interview would not be awkward with the essay present. When they asked me "in what ways are your prepared for self directed learning" and the interview should be interesting then....I'm in trouble. I'm sure they will ask stuff about the essay, but I don't see thats where the "casual conversation" and "interesting" questions will come from but rather when they say "Tell me about yourself" and then they roll off your answers and then you talk about something you and they find in common and talk about it.

I write a lot of and, then, you, like, excuse me.

I don't really understand what you just wrote..but the reason it's awkward and unnatural is it's difficult to answer a question to three people simultaneously. Furthermore, I guess it was my bad luck, but my interviewers were rather robotic and did not respond to any of my responses - so it felt like I was talking to myself for the entire interview.

It is awkward because there's a set of questions, right? So regardless of what you say, they have to get through all their questions...

Well about non-response, I guess that's like a job interview right? I've had those where people just wrote down what I said...and I still ended up getting the job. But yes, I realize this is different.

I don't really understand what you just wrote..but the reason it's awkward and unnatural is it's difficult to answer a question to three people simultaneously. Furthermore, I guess it was my bad luck, but my interviewers were rather robotic and did not respond to any of my responses - so it felt like I was talking to myself for the entire interview.

I thought you were saying it would be awkward and unnatural without the essay. If I misread, sorry. Sure it would be awkward and unnatural if its straight question answer etc...But from what I've heard they follow up on the responses...

I think how awkward the interview goes is very subjective and dependent on who is interviewing you, etc. For example, my interview had good flow and although it wasn't like a conversation between 2 old friends (afterall they do still have to ask you certain questions), it was not really awkward as some people have portrayed it.

Archived