Premed 101 Forums

Imporance of volunteer/extra curriculars

It seems as if Western is concerned about your GPA and MCAT when it comes to deciding who gets the interviews. And after the interview, they look at 50% Interview, 25% GPA and 25% MCAT. So what role do extra curriular, research and volunteering play in your application to

Western? Is it just that if during interview, when you get asked a question regarding your desire to become doctor and stuff, then you can talk about your voluneetring experience and other stuff in interview?

It seems as if Western is concerned about your GPA and MCAT when it comes to deciding who gets the interviews. And after the interview, they look at 50% Interview, 25% GPA and 25% MCAT. So what role do extra curriular, research and volunteering play in your application to

Western? Is it just that if during interview, when you get asked a question regarding your desire to become doctor and stuff, then you can talk about your voluneetring experience and other stuff in interview?

Im sure there will be time to talk about it in the interview..i mean what else would they ask you about for 45 minutes?

I really hope it'll be more about me and less about politics/healthcare. I'm fine with discussing SOME current events...but I got scared when I read that some people had a good chunk of their interview discussing politics =(

Like what do you do if that happens? Do you subconsciously try to steer the convo back to you? But what if they're like SUPER SUPER into politics? Then I guess doom for you....(unless you're a politics buff)

I really hope it'll be more about me and less about politics/healthcare. I'm fine with discussing SOME current events...but I got scared when I read that some people had a good chunk of their interview discussing politics =(

Like what do you do if that happens? Do you subconsciously try to steer the convo back to you? But what if they're like SUPER SUPER into politics? Then I guess doom for you....(unless you're a politics buff)

I don't think they'll be dicussing politics at if all. Most of the current event stuff will involve healthcare and "hot-topics" in science. World issues may be asked aswell. You can talk about ECs if they ask "tell me about yourself" or "why medicine".

By hot topics..you mean stuff still related to ethics, etc right? They won't expect us to know the newest drug discovered or some T-cell mechanism....right? I thought the interview was completely non-science focused lol..

Err, I'm *in* meds at Western and don't know the newest drug discovered or some T-cell mechanism.

Of course, I'm also likely to graduate at the bottom of my class. ;)

Seriously, relax. By meeting the cut-offs and getting an interview you've shown that you can handle the academic/science-y part of med school. Your interview is about you, and what a great fit you'll be with the program.

Good luck!

pb

Archived