Premed 101 Forums

LMCC exam study

Hello there,

I know the MCCQE I exam is fast approaching. I was wondering whether anyone would be able to comment on the resources that they used to study for Part I.

I have been told the Toronto Notes can be a good study guide.

Any other suggestions?

Hi there,

I used (and loved) the Kaplan QBank questions. It's an online resource with hundreds (thousands?) of questions that cover every category of questions you'll see on the MCCQE (Peds, IM, Obs, Surgery, etc.) except for the Canadian legal and ethics questions. You can tailor mock exams to subjects of your liking, i.e., create an exam that's solely Peds questions, for example, and track your progress per subject. They also provide well-explained solutions for each question. I used only this along with the Toronto Notes chapter on ethics, etc., for the exam and did well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

I used (and loved) the Kaplan QBank questions. It's an online resource with hundreds (thousands?) of questions that cover every category of questions you'll see on the MCCQE (Peds, IM, Obs, Surgery, etc.) except for the Canadian legal and ethics questions. You can tailor mock exams to subjects of your liking, i.e., create an exam that's solely Peds questions, for example, and track your progress per subject. They also provide well-explained solutions for each question. I used only this along with the Toronto Notes chapter on ethics, etc., for the exam and did well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey Kirsteen, how did you go about getting those questions? I've been looking and haven't had any luck so far. Thanks.

There's more info on QBank for the USMLE Step 2 CK (roughly equivalent to LMCC Part 1) here:

http://www.kaptest.com/Medical_Licensing/Step-2-CK/View-Kaplan-Programs/Supplemental-Courses/ME_step2_qbank.html

Myself, I've been looking at Kaplan's QBook, but am a little reluctant to get it as I've run out of preparation time before being able to use all my exam resources in the past :P. There should be lots of practice questions on the online USMLE forums where people pool their studying if you search for them (at least there were when I studied for Step 1).

• 1 month later...

For the TO notes....what are people's opinions on needing to buy a new set that year?

My notes will be 2 years old when I am at the point of studying....but in a way I would rather use my current notes as I have been writing little notes in the margins as clerkship goes along.

Also...the fact that they only come out in the winter kind of makes me question whether I would really go through them all anyway.

Do they change that much that I should consider buying a new set of TO notes next year?

I have heard from classmates that there have been updates with new guidelines - but I wasn't moved enough to get a new version (I have 2007), as we get taught what the current guidelines are in clerkship, and everything's online.

It is comprehensive, but rather condensed on rationales for investigations/treatment to order in a particular circumstance - I have been annotating from course notes, stuff I look up online, PEPID even..

Even though no one knows your LMCC score, my understanding is that it's supposed to indicate a "safe" level of knowledge.. I've forgotten a lot of clinical medicine over the last year, so a review before residency won't hurt :o

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I have been on here... Good luck to everyone on the upcoming exam!

I really don't think we have to worry about it too much... if you have been working during the last 4 yrs on your stuff you'll do fine.

Treat the reviewing as if it is prep for residency

Cheers,

GM

Archived