Premed 101 Forums

gpa cutoff

Guest viscous

The cut offs are determined by the quality of applicants for that year. You'll never find out ahead of time what the exact cut off is going to be. What you can do is understand that the cut offs dont' vary too much from year to year, just know what demographic you fall into (ie. Francophone, Anglophone, from the ottawa area, native etc.) because they all work into what your demographic's cut off will be.

Usually Anglophone applicants have a cut off of around 3.6/4, while francophones have a cutoff of around 3.4/4. But by no means does making the cut off ensure your'e getting an interview.

Guest viscous

thank you for your replies. I am IP applicant from Toronto. I dont have any francophone or aboriginal status. So what category do I fall in? I guess the 'general' category. What was the cut-off for that this year? 3.85 wgpa?

• 2 weeks later...
The cut offs are determined by the quality of applicants for that year. You'll never find out ahead of time what the exact cut off is going to be. What you can do is understand that the cut offs dont' vary too much from year to year, just know what demographic you fall into (ie. Francophone, Anglophone, from the ottawa area, native etc.) because they all work into what your demographic's cut off will be.

Usually Anglophone applicants have a cut off of around 3.6/4, while francophones have a cutoff of around 3.4/4. But by no means does making the cut off ensure your'e getting an interview.

Hey!

I think it was between 3.84-3.86...don't know exactly how high, but bottom line is it was very high indeed...:cool:

the cutoff was 3.87 for OOP...

it was 3.85 this year. IP, not from ottawaa

they said it would go up, in september....

so basically they called it, rather than based on applicant pool

Anyone know this year's IP in ottawa cutoff? What was Dakota referring to? 3.6 is a lot easier to get than 3.85

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am curious to know what the wgpa's are of people who got interviews and got accepted or those who got interviews and not accepted/waitlisted that applied who are from Ottawa or an underserviced area. I know the cutoff is around 3.65 for these applicants but that doesn't say much when most wgpa's of those who get accepted are well above this. I have a 3.81 and am considered underserviced, but am not sure if this is competitive enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Ottawa has some weird grade prereqs...I mean 3.6ish vs 3.85 is a huge advantage in the Anglophone stream. That is difference of B student and A+ (or so) student. This would be fine if the grades after the interview accounted for anything, but the fact that the interview is essentially what decides if you are in or not, the non-Ottawa students have to do really well in front of the monochromatic Francophone interview panel. However, I pass the astro-cutoffs and I indeed am of the right wavelength, so I really hope they don't change much :D (just kidding, but still the unfair advantage is not so unfair when you get the better piece).

Realistically, they can do several things...as in increasing the number of people interviewed (unlikely, coz who would want to interview more people?) or they could stop pretending that Ottawa Anglospeakers are "special" and let them compete with the rest of the province. Will they change the process? Unlikely. However, they did change the curriculum for the better, integrating the units together, so an overhaul of the admission circus might not be so unlikely. I am sure the school wants to train the best doctors it can.

I am curious to know what the wgpa's are of people who got interviews and got accepted or those who got interviews and not accepted/waitlisted that applied who are from Ottawa or an underserviced area. I know the cutoff is around 3.65 for these applicants but that doesn't say much when most wgpa's of those who get accepted are well above this. I have a 3.81 and am considered underserviced, but am not sure if this is competitive enough.

as long as you make the cut-off for your region you will pass onto the next step....sketch....if your sketch is good then they'll invite you for an interview....After the interview is done....I believe your interview is the major determinant to be admitted ....check out the website and read the admission process it might make things clearer

________

Silversurfer Reviews

Yeah, Ottawa has some weird grade prereqs...I mean 3.6ish vs 3.85 is a huge advantage in the Anglophone stream. That is difference of B student and A+ (or so) student. QUOTE]

Hey, just outta random, but a 3.6 isnt a B.

B is a 3.0GPA....and a 3.6 is a mixture of B+(3.3GPA) and 3.7+ (A- and higher).

Either way, i find that cut-off pretty ridiculous.

Hey, just outta random, but a 3.6 isnt a B.

B is a 3.0GPA....and a 3.6 is a mixture of B+(3.3GPA) and 3.7+ (A- and higher).

Either way, i find that cut-off pretty ridiculous.

While Ottawa region Anglos have a significant edge in terms of grade cutoffs, realize that unless you score at the very top end on the interview, grades are used as tiebreakers for people with equal interview scores (and there are many ties; there aren't all that many different interview scores that get in).

So if you get an interview with a 3.65 GPA as an Ottawa student, and get a "good but not the top" interview score, the other students (both Ottawans and non-Ottawans) with 3.85 GPAs will be taking those spots ahead of you.

The only people who can get in with a 3.65-3.85 are those with superlative interview scores. It still sucks, of course, since other Ontarians with 3.65-3.84 GPAs don't get that chance to nail the interview. I'm just not 100% sure how many people would be in that category (i.e. how many people each year get such high interview scores that their marks are never used as a tiebreaker).

Looks like im gonna have to reapply to ontario schools again...with my last year's marks included, my wGPA comes out to 3.84 (im IP but not from ottawa)....would it be worth it to apply....the cutoff has been going up the past couple of years and it was 3.85 most recently. Historically, has the cutoff always gone up or has there been a drop anytime?

i would apply if its 3.84, provided money is not a strong issue. (you just never know, they might lower it....)

the ottawa application is not as time consuming as others so its worth a shot.

best wishes to you!

I agree. Being 0.01 below the most recent cutoff is not a reason to skip applying (unless the money to apply is really an issue). The cutoffs depend on the applicant pool, which naturally varies from year to year, so that's some good news. It's not like you're at 3.75 or anything (a 0.1 point drop is much less likely than a 0.01 drop!).

Archived