Premed 101 Forums

Interview Prep

What sort of things would people who have gone through the interview process already recommend doing to prepare for the U Ottawa interviews? Aside from the basics (looking at old questions, reading up on medical ethics/current events), what should be done to prep for Ottawa interviews specifically?

I haven't gone through the process but I think it would be a wise thing to do some extensive research about the university's medical program itself. What makes ottawa unique as a med school? If they ever asked you why you wanted to study at Ottawa, you would have a good answer.

I don't think there's much special preparation to do for Ottawa that you wouldn't do for anywhere else. Obviously look up the school & the curriculum & make sure you know why you want to study here, but besides that, it's relatively standard med interview prep. I guess one thing that's different is that you can contact med students from the contact list to ask for advice/questions... not all schools give you that option. Besides that it's just standard preparation...

There isn't much research you can do beyond being familiar with the program at uOttawa. Are you going to get questions about the history of the school and other specifics....probably not. Regarding the change of curriculum for 2008, I think it would be beneficial (but not mandatory) if you had some idea about the major changes. Like someone mentioned earlier, they are moving away from the block approach and more towards an integrative curriculum.

From what I have gathered, there will be midterms and final exams, sort of like undergrad. Dr. Moineau (associate dean of medicine) "spear-headed" this project a few years ago and it should be interesting to see how things work out. There is going to be a presentation on Monday, so more information will become available. I'm sure some of us will attend and be able to post more info. In regards to the interview itself, I think it would be good if you had some insight into the curriculum and you had a few comments about it.

From what I've heard of the U of O interview panel....I believe it's a 4th year medical student who marks you on whether they could picture you as a fellow student, an MD of random specialty who marks you on whether they could picture you as a colleague, and a 'member of the community' (the most variable in origin of all 3 interviewers) who marks you on whether they could picture you as their physician.

Hi,

Would anyone want to phone in and ask who our interviewers are... like their backgrounds and stuff..

Yeah, great idea! Perhaps stalk them for a couple of days, find their favorite color (favourite colour) and of course tailor your answers to what you think they like. If this don't get your into medschool, what will?

Ok sarcasm aside, why do you need to know?

Archived